Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Los Roques, waves or no waves?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
harppa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Epic spots of the northshores of Finland
Gear: Eleveight kites, Brunotti boards, ION neoprene and Moses hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Running a school and importing Eleveight, Brunotti, Peter Lynn, ION, Shark SUP and few others.
Has thanked: 0

Los Roques, waves or no waves?

Postby harppa » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:37 am

We are heading to Los Roques in a month or so and quite limited amount of info availeble.
Seems to be a heaven on earth for flat water but how about waves?
Seems a bit tricky to have the surfboard on the plane from Isla Margarita to Los Roques and from Los Roques to Caracas but would it be worth the hassle?

How about renting equipment? Are there anything in Los Roques were we could hire stuff we didn´t bring along?

And all other advices, tips, spot recomendations etc. would be cool

Zenith Ocean Voyages
Rare Poster
Local Beach: anywhere on the oceans - offshore! see where we are on www.zenithoceanvoyages.com
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Los Roques, waves or no waves?

Postby Zenith Ocean Voyages » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:30 am

It is most definitely NOT a wavespot. There are plenty of flat water locations.... I can't really help you with the other questions because we passed through last year on our catamaran.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:46 pm

harppa wrote:We are heading to Los Roques in a month or so and quite limited amount of info availeble.
Seems to be a heaven on earth for flat water but how about waves?
Seems a bit tricky to have the surfboard on the plane from Isla Margarita to Los Roques and from Los Roques to Caracas but would it be worth the hassle?

I was there last year and its not a wave spot for sure

How about renting equipment? Are there anything in Los Roques were we could hire stuff we didn´t bring along?

I didn't see anything. there was a guy teaching one day that I seen

And all other advices, tips, spot recomendations etc. would be cool
When are you going Nov Dec is busy. When I went I just landed with no room. Shopped around.... the rooms started at $200Us a night and I ended up with $40us a night and something small to eat in the morning. Rented a cooler and brought food and drink for the day to take with us. Stay on the main island. if you book off the main there is nothing i mean nothing there!!!! take the strongest bug spray you can buy you will F'n need it at night.

In the center square when its open there is the best burger place to eat (little shop as you enter the town to the right) bar out front is $$ to drink or eat.

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly, Sullivans, IOP
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Waves

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:55 pm

i was there about 8 years ago and the one day it didn't blow or it was out of a weird direction(don't remember) and i got a surfboard from the windsurfing school and hit this reef break on the other end of the island(this is before kite waveriding really existed). My guide and fellow surfer was this 9 year old kid. He didn't speak English and i didn't speak Spanish. REALLY small break about 50 yards off rocky shore, super sketch, coral, rocks, steep faces, dropping in got a little hectic. Good waves, lot of fun, just a little sketch. Fun to paddle surf, not anything I'd EVER want to kite...Surfed all day then hiked back to the other end of the island. Totaly surreal day of surfing.

Brought a little spinning reel and my cheapest rod(something i didn't mind loosing or leaving) and caught some bonefish(Japanese fly fishermen with $3000 rods on guided charters were giving me the stinkeye). Really great place. Can't wait to go back...

Trikke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Andora, Albenga, Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Los lances, tarifa
Style: Waves to wakestyle, to g' old big airs!
Gear: '14 RRD 9m + 13,5m Obsession
RRD Poison 134x43, RRD AssoPigliatutto Pro, RRD Waveoff 5'6", RRD Domingo 5'8"x21"

Postby Trikke » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:59 pm

I was there for 10 days kiting holiday in 2009.
Everything about kiteboarding was quite experimental at that time, since there were only a french guy running a school with very old windsurf equipment and no kite equipment: he teached 2 guys with their own equipment :)
For what I know, now there are some spanish guys from Tarifa (Art Of Surfing shop owner) who organize kite holidays and boat tours for kiting...
We had good steady wind every day and as we were some of the first kiteboarders, we changed location every day to explore the potential of the place, but I have not seen any good wave.
Only occasional very small waves near the windsurf school and obviously I guess there are waves on the outer reef but it's open ocean swell hitting a coral reef, not exactly a safe spot to test...
We were at http://www.posadamovida.com/index.php maybe you can even ask them some more infos

Return to “Travel”