Northshore04
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiteboarding in Tavarua?

Postby Northshore04 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi

I'm planning a trip to Fiji in August '12. I know you can launch your kite from the beach at Namotu, but is it possible to do the same at Tavarua? Also, if you can and had a choice, which island do you like better? Thanks

Northshore04
Rare Poster

Re: Kiteboarding in Tavarua?

Postby Northshore04 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Anyone?

ITN
Medium Poster
Gear: Reo 2016 7m 9m 12m

Postby ITN » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:06 am

I've stayed at Tavarua a few times and you can launch there but Namotu is more kite friendly. In the "old" days ( a year ago) when the reefs were private Tavarua was far better to stay on for surfing but you can surf anywhere now staying at Namotu.
I'd still probably pick Tavarua and if you have a girl in tow she'd like it better too. But yeah Namotu is better for kiting.

Rbgar
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: nude-
Style: Smooth
Gear: Everything
Brand Affiliation: Self sponsored team rider

Postby Rbgar » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:54 pm

I was at Namotu a couple weeks ago and the place is great :thumb:

Tav is bigger island and a little less exposed but I did see a guy out when the breeze was solid. I personally like Namotu but certainly Tav is more chic/kid friendly.

You can stay at Tav and be dropped off on Namotu and hit Namotu Lefts, great setup!

Northshore04
Rare Poster

Postby Northshore04 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Thanks. My wife will be coming along this time and so it sounds like staying at Tav would work out the best. Especially if they'll drop me off at Namotu to kite there. Best of both worlds for this trip!!

ITN
Medium Poster
Gear: Reo 2016 7m 9m 12m

Postby ITN » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:19 pm

Definitely stay at Tavarua if the wife is coming. The pool is amazing and if wind is the right direction you can kite right in front of it in the lagoon and show off. Watch out for the coral though at low tide.

And when you go over to Namotu make sure you ask nicely if you can kite there out of courtesy (they'll always say yes) and buy lunch and beers there to thank them for the hospitality. :thumb: They are very cool friendly people on both islands.

Northshore04
Rare Poster

Postby Northshore04 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:02 am

ITN wrote:Definitely stay at Tavarua if the wife is coming. The pool is amazing and if wind is the right direction you can kite right in front of it in the lagoon and show off. Watch out for the coral though at low tide.

And when you go over to Namotu make sure you ask nicely if you can kite there out of courtesy (they'll always say yes) and buy lunch and beers there to thank them for the hospitality. :thumb: They are very cool friendly people on both islands.
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely do that, and am really looking forward to this trip.

Northshore04
Rare Poster

Postby Northshore04 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:11 am

Thanks too Rbgar, looks like I messed up when trying to quote the posts.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:15 pm

So, long story short, I just won a week long trip to Tavarua for this coming winter (January/February 2018 probably).

I understand that's out of season for both waves and wind, (which I'm fine with smaller waves, 10' Cloudbreak has me a bit freaked).

I kite and SUP surf, pretty confident on a kite/strapless surfboard, I've been riding for 10 years. Just looking for any other info on launching from Tavarua and getting out to Namotu Lefts, etc. From the SUP surf side, I'm hoping for something a bit more mellow than huge Cloudbreak over razor sharp reef. Namotu Lefts and Swimming Pools looks a bit more manageable, any thoughts?

Return to “Travel”