All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kite Trip on Jan to Turks and Caicos
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:44 am 
Medium Poster

Hi guys!

I'm planning a kite trip this January to Turks and Caicos.

I would like if anyones has any recommendation on where to stay, kite spots, rent a car or not, or any other tip.

Thanks a lot.

Tio

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Kite Trip on Jan to Turks and Caicos
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:00 am 
Rare Poster

I was there a couple of months ago ago and long bay is such a easy spot you will cover a whole lot of new tricks, waist deep as far as the eye can see.
Went there on a boat so cant comment on accomodation but you will more than likely have to hire a car , it is a pretty expensive spot in general, be prepared.
I tried a couple of times to get some waves on the north side of Provo (cross off)but had some loooong swims when the wind dropped, January should have more wind.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:24 am 
Rare Poster

I was there in early August and kited every day on 10-14 meter kites. I had a great trip, and I know that you will, too.

If you'll be staying in Providenciales (Provo), the kiting hotspot is on Long Bay near Shore Club (new high end development). There is open access to parking and the beach is wide open. The water is shallow (waist deep) at low tide and very clear and beautiful. The trade winds blow onshore and, during my trip, continuously.

Most of the tourist hotels are located on Grace Bay, but there are a few smaller rentals in the Long Bay area. If you are going primarily to kite, try to stay closer to Long Bay. If you have traveling companions who aren't kiters, then Grace Bay may be better for them - more restaurants, shops, snorkeling, etc. Provo is small enough so that nothing is very far apart, but you'll definitely want a rental car to get around..

If you want to try a really special kiteboarding outing, contact Mike at KiteProvo (kiteprovo.com) and ask about the boat excursions. There are some really special kiting spots in the Turks and Caicos that are accessible only by boat. Mike does a great job hosting small groups of kiters in these locations. There are also a few links to kiter friendly accommodations through the KiteProvo website.

Have a great trip. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:56 pm 
Rare Poster

Hey Tio.

Not sure if this is a fit for you (but I mention it b/c if it was you could perhaps write it off as a business expense.)

In conjunction with Kite Provo, my company is putting on an event in Turks and Caicos this Feb

It is called BOOST. www.boosthuge.com - not sure if it is a fit for you but check it out.

Turks is a wonderful place to kite - and as the others suggest the boat trip w/Mike is a MUST!

[ 4 posts ]