Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where to go kiting in Asia between mid July to mid August?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
FL
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where to go kiting in Asia between mid July to mid August?

Postby FL » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:52 pm

I am trying to plan my next kite trip and have been browsing on the web and was quite surprised to see there was not so many windy place during summer. It looks Indonesia could be a good pick but quite un-predictable. Do you guys have any great ideas? Thanks

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where to go kiting in Asia between mid July to mid Augus

Postby ChickenTikka » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Asia is a big place. Most of it is never all that windy. Indo appears to be one such place. Weak wind.

One great place to kite that time of year is Sri Lanka. However, it is not the most exciting vacation. Very little tourist infrastructure. I wouldn't fly half way around the world to get there. But if you are in the area why not.

Taiwan is apparently great for wind. I've never been. Don't know what the rest of it is like.

Thailand will get some wind those months around Phuket but it will be inconsistent and light. The good news is that you can play golf and go diving.

Sheep
Medium Poster

Postby Sheep » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:47 am

CT has good info and ive been traveling around SEA the last 5/6 years around july/august looking for that idyllic spot where it pumps everyday from morning till late
and let me tell ya, im still looking for it :lol:

thailand is very fickle and no guarantee at all that your spend time on the water, altho i still go back as there are many other things to see and do

i thought i had finally found it when i struck gold in vung tau a couple of years back and it really did blow 24/7 but the last 2 times have been average but still get time on the water. i dont know if its the la nina weather pattern fooking up things but i will be back again this year
during this time mui ne sux (wind is slightly off-shore) but it does have the advantage of a lake which altho gusty will have wind (microclimate)

also spent a week in sri lanka last year but the wind was light.... the previous week was pumping

so where ever u decide to go, its hit and miss

this year im checking out the top of sumatra, indo. supposedily gets good winds around banda aceh
back to thailand to a place called chumphon (fingers crossed)
and VT

all these places would rock in the north-east season nov-march but in the south-west season june-oct u take what u can get :thumb:

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom

Postby kitesurfbali » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:46 am

BALI WIND INFORMATION'S:
Wind season in Bali goes from May to September with the best months being June-July-August with over 50 % of days that are kiteable.

All wind - tides & spot info are in our web site: www.bali-kitesurfing.org
In our home page you can see what the wind is doing as we have a Real Time Wind Report!

Make sure you become member of our Facebook group "Kitesurf Bali" where I write MY Daily Forecast & end daily Wind Report PLUS all the latest news.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=63988066680

In Bali wind is mostly 12-14 knots. WE FLY BIG KITES!!!!! A rider of 70-80 kilos use mostly a 14m on a Twin Tip.....
Bye Jankie

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:19 am

FL wrote:I am trying to plan my next kite trip and have been browsing on the web and was quite surprised to see there was not so many windy place during summer. It looks Indonesia could be a good pick but quite un-predictable. Do you guys have any great ideas? Thanks
Nai Yang, Phuket is good if you don't mind the occasional shower, since European summer is South-West monsoon season in Thailand. Waves are usually good at that time. It's actually the best wave-spot in Thailand.

Samui and Koh Pan Ngan should not be too bad, because if there is any rain, much of it falls on the peninsula before reaching the island. Koh Phan Ngan:

A nice place is Koh Lipe (Thailand), near Langkawi. Beautiful coral waters and the sand bank on the North is good for winds coming from both SW and NE directions.

Bali Sanur is the best known place in Indo. See Jankie's site for details.
For more wind and great waves, Sumbawa and Rote (best in September).
Jankie says that the Gili Islands are a lot windier than Sanur when the winds shifts to South, South East later in the season. Typically 25 knots when 12 knots in Sanur.
Regis Lacouture opened a new kite center in Aceh. Looks great, but quite isolated place.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 435&type=1
http://www.aceh-kitecamp.com/en/

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate

Postby ChickenTikka » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:58 am

I was just in Koh Phagnan. I got out one day out of 3. It was barely enough for me to stay up wind on my big ass board and 12 meter kite. Even the super skinny frenchies were having trouble. Boosting wasn't really an option. Too bad, because the place is beautiful.

I had a magic mushroom milkshake or two instead. That made the trip worth it.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:11 am

ChickenTikka wrote:I was just in Koh Phagnan. I got out one day out of 3. It was barely enough for me to stay up wind on my big ass board and 12 meter kite. Even the super skinny frenchies were having trouble. Boosting wasn't really an option. Too bad, because the place is beautiful.
I had a magic mushroom milkshake or two instead. That made the trip worth it.
:kiff:
I believe there not much water either in the southern spot in KPNG at the moment.
But it's not summer yet.
Presently Hua Hin / Pranburi / Prachuap Khiri Khan area is the place to be in LOS.
You mean skinny Belgian? You might not make the difference with a Frenchie.
They are both French-fries eaters.

kitesurfingcollectiv
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, South Africa.
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: http://www.thekitesurfingcollective.com

Postby kitesurfingcollectiv » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:37 pm

ChickenTikka wrote:
One great place to kite that time of year is Sri Lanka. However, it is not the most exciting vacation. Very little tourist infrastructure. I wouldn't fly half way around the world to get there. But if you are in the area why not.
Looks like you've already got some great advice about good places to go! I just thought I would add that I've just come back from a 1 month trip to Sri Lanka that I flew half way around the world to get to and I loved it. I would fly half way around the world again to get there. The people are wonderful, it is clean and there isn't a huge amount of tourism up north to ruin the experience. The infastructure is absolutely fine on the west coast where you kitesurf (Kalpitya) and you have steady trade winds and as many flat water locations as you can poke a stick at.

Haha, I don't mean to sound like an ad, I just don't think you should write it off straight away!
Attachments
P1010003-2.jpg
Sri Lanka
P1010070.JPG
Sri Lanka

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate

Postby ChickenTikka » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:01 pm

Where did you stay Kitesurfingcollectiv? I'm curious because I will be going back soon for sure.

I'm really only aware of the kitekuda camp which is pretty basic in terms of amenities. If you aren't kiting then even they say you should look elsewhere. Not sure how much fun a girlfriend who doesn't kite would have there. I brought a chick who was content to lie on the beach for a three days but it was up to us to entertain one another at night.

I know there is another place, something about Dolphins.

kitesurfingcollectiv
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, South Africa.
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: http://www.thekitesurfingcollective.com

Postby kitesurfingcollectiv » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:46 pm

ChickenTikka wrote:Where did you stay Kitesurfingcollectiv? I'm curious because I will be going back soon for sure.

I'm really only aware of the kitekuda camp which is pretty basic in terms of amenities. If you aren't kiting then even they say you should look elsewhere. Not sure how much fun a girlfriend who doesn't kite would have there. I brought a chick who was content to lie on the beach for a three days but it was up to us to entertain one another at night.

I know there is another place, something about Dolphins.
In Kappaladi, KiteKuda, Dolphin Hotel and Elements (a new posh kitecamp that fly Faith) are the only places I know of.. I think there is also another swish place in Jaipaligui Junction (sp?) which is the junction turn off from the Putalam-Kalpitya road when heading to Kappaladi.. It's facing the gulf and has a private swimming pool etc..

In Kalpitya I think you have a range of options, there are quite a few top-end resort-style accomodations popping up on the Kalpitya lagoon.

As for your girlfriend that doesn't kitesurf.. maybe she should bring a good book? On a calm day, the scuba diving off Bar Reef is world class, but I doubt you'll find many qualified guides if she doesn't have her PADI or SSI already.

Hope you have a good time there, I will definately go back one day!

Return to “Travel”