Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Sheep
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

There is wind in Thailand in the "off" season

Postby Sheep » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:02 am

I was able to kite 4 days out of 4 in Thailand in August at a spot called Laem Son in Rayong province.
Its a quiet part of Thailand and not many westerners travel here.
Which kind of makes it special... you could say this is the real Thailand.. not like Phuket and Koh Samui
And this place seems to get alot of wind May to October from what ive heard.
Mostly 13-18 knots but good enough to have fun.
I filmed a short movie of it if you want to see what its like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPrpuHWmUqk

and yes im surprised as anyone who has been to Thailand around this time and hoped (not expected) for wind... it really does blow

projectile
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara, Brazil
Blouberg, Cape Town
Style: Free like the wind
Gear: Ion3 Rasta 10.5

Re: There is wind in Thailand in the "off" season

Postby projectile » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:36 pm

you just made my day!!!! I'm flying into bankok on wed!!!!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:15 pm

Nice!

We just spent 2 and a half weeks on Koh Samui... got 4 really cracking days, 4 ok days and 2 or 3 days I just shouldn't have bothered. If I'd gotten up early, I would've had a few more days too.

Not the real Thailand? I couldn't really care if it was the cardboard-cutout plastic copy of Thailand... so long as the wind is blowing :D and the beer is cheap!

Sheep
Medium Poster

Postby Sheep » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:47 pm

Thats great that you got some wind in Samui as I always thought that place was a graveyard for kiters.
And i wish that ppl who have got wind in Thailand would let us know.
I know its a bit of a lottery if u get wind here so its nice when it does blow, we know.
So many trips before and not 1 day on the water.

And its more of a holiday if I can get away from a westernised environment.
Plus i get a chance to practice a little Thai... hmm well I have to as no one speaks English here :argue:

Had an unusual episode where a Belgian guy, after a second of neglect got his kite firmly wedged in a tree.
Unable to free it without ripping it to shreds. He gave it up. He was totally pissed.
Within 5 minutes a young Thai guy comes along and says he will climb the tree and bring it down. We thought he was joking and would stop after 3 or 4 metres and come down. He went up and up... about 25 metres up. 1 slip and it would be all over. He deflated, unhooked the lines, wrapped it up and brought the bloody thing down.

Amazing and only in Thailand.

And he was well compensated for his effort.

Just wish i had my camera on me that day!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:52 am

Yeah, I was impressed with the "can do" attitude of people in Thailand... well, except for the taxi drivers and wingnuts at customs.

There's two schools on the island...!

We went there in knowing it was the "off" season cos of the monsoons - but we only had to suffer one squall... I think winter is a better time for consistent wind?

A bit of local knowledge helps - the wind on that island is so location dependent :o 10 knots in Nathon but 15 to 20 due to thermals 2 bays down!

Sheep
Medium Poster

Postby Sheep » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:40 pm

[quote="Kamikuza"]Yeah, I was impressed with the "can do" attitude of people in Thailand... well, except for the taxi drivers and wingnuts at customs.

There's two schools on the island...!

We went there in knowing it was the "off" season cos of the monsoons - but we only had to suffer one squall... I think winter is a better time for consistent wind?

A bit of local knowledge helps - the wind on that island is so location dependent :o 10 knots in Nathon but 15 to 20 due to thermals 2 bays down![/quote

its why i dont go back to phuket.. way over the top prices.. they hit on westerners as they know they dont say "no" so it becomes the common price

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

anyways the price of beer stays the same thru out thailand.... better still.. their thai whiskey is damn good... try the hong thong... love it :cheers: :)

I havent tried the wind in summer but only in winter and ive found it to be very consistent...

Ive just got back in NZ and fook its gusty.. im wishing im back there... have to wait till next year tho :(

Return to “Travel”