Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tips for Boracay this winter

Postby sijandy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:12 pm

So i've decided to do a 4 week trip to Boracay this December and just wanted to see what tips and info people might have. Iv'e read a number of previous topics on the subject but a lot of them were quite old and quite specific so i thought I would start a new one. I'm a single guy most likely to be travelling alone and just wanted to know what the social scene/nightlife is like, where are the best places to go out drinking and meet people? Where are the best/cheapest places to stay? Any particular 'must do' activities other than kiting? Whats the best way to get to the island from Manilla? Basically any tips or info on how to make the best of my trip will be appreciated, cheers.

lenker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog

Re: Tips for Boracay this winter

Postby lenker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:28 pm

When you return from Boracay you will be laughing about your post.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:35 pm

not helpful...does that mean it's good or s**t?

lenker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog

Postby lenker » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Oh sorry, this was meant positive : )

How can I give you tips, I don't even know you. But I know that you should not worry.

EDIT: I'm talking about social tips. For travel info you should look in Wikitravel or Tripadvisor

dt73775
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, Sherman
Gear: Bandit 4, Ozone V9

Postby dt73775 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:15 pm

Dont worry about the night scene - the whole island is one big night scene . thats what that guy meant .

Not sure about the flight - When I went last year , My plane landed in an airport shy of the island and we took a 2 hr bus ride ( they use vans) and then a 45min boat ride to get to the island , which I thought was dumb considering there was an airport on the island, but when i got to the isalnd i found out the all the flights were delayed by 10 to 12 hrs due to high winds .So you have to gamble taking the multi ride trip versus getting there straight (but hight possibility of being delayed )

Hotels are all price ranges from super lush to super cheap . If your staying for 4 weeks , I think you can just book anywhere for a couple of days and then just walk around till you find a room / hotel to rent for that long . It looked to me that the bookings in Manila (they have these little travel agents booths lall over the malls with screaming deals) were cheaper than trying to do it.

I am going to try and go for week in October . I really wanted to go to Palawan but I'm not sure if theres wind .......

Hope this helps

dt73775
Medium Poster

Postby dt73775 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:56 am

i forgot, the kiteboarding area is on the other side of the island, so if you stay on that side - you will have to take a tricycle (local taxi - motorcycle with side car) to the party side , or just stay on the party side and do the reverse- i think its about 15 minute ride

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:44 pm

dt73775, yeah thats the kinda stuff i was after...very helpful thanks.

susanmg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NYC/NJ

Postby susanmg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi - I spent 6 weeks there two winters ago (traveling there by myself). Don't worry about the social life - tons to do. I would book a place for a night or two and then wander around to find yourself a place for the rest of the time. You should be able to get a better rate because you are staying longer. I stayed on the kiting side of the island (Bulabog beach) and then would walk over to the touristy side (White Beach) at night for food/party/whatever - its a 10 min walk at most. Lots of people end up staying at the English Bakery (cheap, clean, reasonable, located on the Bulabog side but near the main road).

You are also going to need to be affiliated with one of the kite schools (basically pay for kite storage/launching/landing). Lots of options there - I taught for Ocean Republic which was nice because it was a bit upwindfrom most of the kite schools so slightly less crowded. Try to take a trip either to Union Bay (nearby, significantly less crowded) or to the sandbar (stay on a boat,kiting totally empty, etc).

And remember that vinegar is your best bet for sea urchin spines in your feet (also known as the Boracay tattoo).

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:42 pm

cheapest connection with Air Asia from Clark to Kalibo, also considering baggage options...

Otherwise fly it freight from Manila to Caticlan...

dt73775
Medium Poster

Postby dt73775 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:31 am

Is it anygood in October. Planning to hit Manila. I will swing by if its worth it

Return to “Travel”