Rare Poster
Style: wakestyle
Gear: epic renegade 6&9 slingshot rally
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Alvor Portugal?

Postby DANIELR » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Was thinking about taking a holiday to alvor this July.
Could anyone tell me what the conditions are like over there , is the wind consistant and what size kites to bring??? and is there much family stuff to do as only two of the four going can kite thanks a lot.
Daniel

FreddieM
Rare Poster

Re: Alvor Portugal?????

Postby FreddieM » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:43 pm

wind is constant and will pick up in the afternoon! kites, bring all of them of course :) a 12 and a 9 and for sure you will kite most days. +- 80kg rider....!

DANIELR
Rare Poster

Re: Alvor Portugal?

Postby DANIELR » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:24 pm

Thanks a lot dude that's GREAT :D , is there any stuff around for kids like waterparks
Thanks for the info
Daniel

FreddieM
Rare Poster

Postby FreddieM » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:11 pm

i guess they would like this http://www.zoomarine.pt/en/theme-park and it is 20 min from alvor...and this one... http://www.slidesplash.com/page.php?pag ... cao&idi=EN

DANIELR
Rare Poster

Postby DANIELR » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks alot can't wait :D

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Postby speedyRider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:17 am

Dont get me wrong its not a bad place but its not ideal at all.

Windy in July unless there is east wind in tarifa, otherwise windy from 12-1pm. So big probability (fingers crossed you dont have a week of Levante (east) wind in tarifa that week)
15-20 mins walk to the spot.
Not constant, gusty. Somedays better somedays worse but rarely is constant there.
Bring small kites, usually its 9m-7m (75kg). Only during the 1st hour can be for bigger kites, or if there is east wind in tarifa wind can be lighter but expect 20 to 30 or more knots usually.
Choppy when high tide. If you are looking for flat water spot this is not the place, only flat in sea (offshore) or when medium to low tide.
Currents. Best for going upwind is when tide is high and coming down, there is when also you can get the best flat water when is medium to low tide.
With low tide its empty except the navigation channel, which can be with strong currents.
Watch rocks outside when tide is high, its not rookie-friendly as there is no beach to launch from (really really narrow) and rocks or big dunes literally 1 metre from water so you have to be able to stay upwind and keep distance or know what you are doing with high tide. For learning its good with low tide as you can walk away from rocks to where the water is (rest is empty).
Alvor is a quiet fishing village in summer, compared to other more touristic places, i prefer. There is still people but not so overcrowded. Nice village. Portimao just a few kms its more touristic and more things to do. Do not forget to see the cliffs at Lagos, and a short trip to Cabo San vicente area and Sagres.

Enjoy!

DANIELR
Rare Poster

Postby DANIELR » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:18 am

Thanks for all the info.
We're choosing to go to alvor as we are kind of limited to Europe, and from what I've seen the wind seems pretty consistent during July,
Have you got any better ideas in Europe thanks again ,
Daniel

polarstorm
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sauble, Santa Rita, Valmitao
Favorite Beaches: Santa Rita, Valmitao
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha (little goat)

Postby polarstorm » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:24 am

DANIELR wrote:Thanks a lot dude that's GREAT :D , is there any stuff around for kids like waterparks
Thanks for the info
Daniel
Daniel,

Alvor is a wicked spot when its on with both butterflats on the river delta side and ocean waves on the south side so it works on any direction provided in comes in. Call up Nelson, he'll hook you up the nicest people around too, they'll take care of you.

Algarve? Never a dull moment man, you won't sleep - trust me. Family fun too, so much too see, soo much to do, never enough time.. Nelson also has connections for good quality real estate not at 'algarve summer prices' if you know what I mean.. call him up. I've gone down with a car and stayed for a few days and wild partying at night.. the wind comes in during the afternoon but for best days of the season talk to him..

ps. everyone spreken zie engleesh in the south.

Nelson Nunes
Alvor Kite Center team
www.alvorkitecenter.com

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Postby speedyRider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:43 am

Cold water too, specially when the water is entering the river mouth. I sometimes use my 4/3 but then i dont like cold water hehe.

good places in europe: Greece, Turkey, Sardinia, Tarifa (too crowded in summer for my liking)

DANIELR
Rare Poster

Postby DANIELR » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:09 am

Thanks again ill be heading to alvor in July can't wait , I'll get in contact with alvor kite centre
Cheers for the info lads

Return to “Travel”