jb74
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

"Wind-sure" spots in Europe

Postby jb74 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:45 pm

Hi,
I plan to spend my holiday kiteboarding in Europe. I would like to carry with me all my gear (10m2, 14m2, a light-wind kite and two boards) which excludes a trip by plane. This also excludes the Canarian Islands and Spain as well as the latest it would be too far by car from Hungary. I could reach North-Germany in 12-14 hours but I don't know how windy is that region.
Has anybody ridden in Rügen? Can you tell me how the weather is there around mid of August? Is it wavy? Rock-bottom? How are the kiting circumstances in general in Rügen? Any other place in Europe where the wind is blowing in August?
Any information is welcome.
Thank you.

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4

Re: "Wind-sure" spots in Europe

Postby Rufusz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:45 am

I would go South to Croatia. Viganj, Neretva and Bol are all good places, and IMHO those are the closest "wind-sure" locations to Hungary. Still 8-900km from Budapest, mostly on highways, 9hrs drive.
I've only been to Viganj and Bol, conditions were great, every day was a kite day, however most of the times I used my 15m2. Both spots located in a channel so the wind is stronger than the rest of the Adriatic. Space for lauching/landing are limited and the water is deep so not the best place for a beginner. They have kiteschools and rescue boats.
Neretva is busier, has shallow water and the locals charge you 5 EUR/day for using the spot.

Lake Garda in Italy is about the same distance, but I haven't been kiting there.

If you are happy to drive around 1500 km you could go to Greece (Lefkada, or Rhodes)

jb74
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: "Wind-sure" spots in Europe

Postby jb74 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:35 pm

Rufusz,
Thanks for your note.
I've already been to Viganj, Bol and Nin..........none of them is windy enough. Those days I didn't have my LW kite so, most of the time I was sitting on the beach.
I cannot take Greece into account as there are no highways in that direction.
Baltic sea is reacheable on motorways but I would need some info about the spots there before heading there.

Return to “Travel”