Drande
Medium Poster
Style: wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force, O'Neill
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where to go from mid December till February

Postby Drande » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:57 pm

I have a chance to go to probably my trip of a life time.
Finally everything landed so that I have chance to get some off days from my regular life for a while.
I will have free time from mid December till February to go somewhere kiting ect. Alone.
Would love to change spots and maybe even fly around and not stay in one place for a whole time.
Im not looking for a job @ that time.

where would You go if You had that chance?
You have some bucks, time, will of kiting and travel and meet new people. wich region of the earth would You choose and from wich place You would start as a first spot of Your journey?
Interested mostly in freestyle conditions this time.

Urugay? Thailand? Perth? SA? Caribbian? ect.
Whats Your experience?

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where to go from mid December till February

Postby sijandy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:29 pm

i hear Syria's nice this time of year

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:03 pm

Drande wrote:I have a chance to go to probably my trip of a life time.
Finally everything landed so that I have chance to get some off days from my regular life for a while.
I will have free time from mid December till February to go somewhere kiting ect. Alone.
Would love to change spots and maybe even fly around and not stay in one place for a whole time.

You have some bucks, time, will of kiting and travel and meet new people. wich region of the earth would You choose and from wich place You would start as a first spot of Your journey?

Whats Your experience?
Hi Drande,

Since you want that to be your trip of a life time, my advice would be to fly to Perth/Australia, hire a campervan or a regular car there for the 2 months (there are plenty of hotels/motels/hostels/rental apartments/places to stay without a campervan) and travel up and down the coast. A good starting point is Safety Bay (Rockingham) which I'm sure you will love and then go up North. You will meet many people on your way up there who either will follow you or you will follow them (since you will catch up with them over and over again).

NorthEast Brazil is another great choice even though some people will tell you that is off-season and little wind (which is utterly rubbish). It is perfect wind for freestyle.

I hope (whatever your choice might be) that you have a great trip.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

mvandijk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Salamansa (Sao Vicente, Cape Verde), Vrouwenpolder (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Salamansa (Sao Vicente, Cape Verde)
Style: Waves,Freestyle
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha, Nobile

Postby mvandijk » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi Drande,

Perhaps some of the Cape Verde islands are worth considering. The variety in nature is incredible (many stunning landscapes) and most of the islands have an authentic Cape Verdian culture. Combine Sao Vicente with Santo Antao. If you have time, visit Fogo as well.
The locals you meet are super friendly but only few speak English or French. The few tourists (including kiters) that come tend to be adventurous, experienced travelers.

Getting convenient flights (without overnight stay somewhere) may be difficult (nearly impossible to find on the usual websites, but there should be a convenient, reasonable flight from Vilnius (if you need help - let us know).
Attachments
Santo Antao s.jpg
G0140459_M_s.jpg
G0140459_M_s.jpg (93.48 KiB) Viewed 3232 times

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:00 pm

Can't beat Oahu and Maui. Get up to Kailua, rent a cheap room and kite almost everyday on crystal clear water and 25 degrees and 15 to 20 kn.. When you tire of Oahu jump on a short flight to Maui and do it all again with 26 kn winds.You will also meet lots f the locals who are very friendly, eat great food locally.

Drande
Medium Poster

Postby Drande » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:21 am

Caesar wrote:
Drande wrote:I have a chance to go to probably my trip of a life time.

Whats Your experience?
Hi Drande,

Since you want that to be your trip of a life time, my advice would be to fly to Perth/Australia, hire a campervan or a regular car there for the 2 months (there are plenty of hotels/motels/hostels/rental apartments/places to stay without a campervan) and travel up and down the coast. A good starting point is Safety Bay (Rockingham) which I'm sure you will love and then go up North. You will meet many people on your way up there who either will follow you or you will follow them (since you will catch up with them over and over again).

NorthEast Brazil is another great choice even though some people will tell you that is off-season and little wind (which is utterly rubbish). It is perfect wind for freestyle.

Cheers
Caesar 8)
Perth sounds like a good choice. Any ideas how much would cost to rent a tiny camper van in OK condition for a one and a half month there?

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Caesar » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:35 am

Drande wrote:
Caesar wrote: Hi Drande,

Cheers
Caesar 8)
Perth sounds like a good choice. Any ideas how much would cost to rent a tiny camper van in OK condition for a one and a half month there?
Hi mate,

When I went to the West Coast (I'm from the East Coast), I always rented regular cars and slept in Motels and Hotels.
I remember these guys who were one of the cheaper ones: http://www.boomerangcampers.com/rates
But there are a few members here who still live DownUnder (Westozzy, Puetz etc).
Otherwise you might want to ask here: http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Drande
Medium Poster

Postby Drande » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Caesar wrote:
Hi mate,

When I went to the West Coast (I'm from the East Coast), I always rented regular cars and slept in Motels and Hotels.
I remember these guys who were one of the cheaper ones: http://www.boomerangcampers.com/rates
But there are a few members here who still live DownUnder (Westozzy, Puetz etc).
Otherwise you might want to ask here: http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/

Cheers
Caesar 8)
Thank You a lot. I come from other side of the planet so have no real vision about most things there. What would be Your suggestion how to live and travel there around for a month and a half? Of course Im not a millionaire and maybe the idea of mine to rent a camper is not the right one for lonely kiter/traveler in Perth area. Im pretty sure I wont handle kiting all that time in a row and would like to see something else too as I never been in any parts of Australia ever nor close to that continent.
Thanx in advance for any suggestion.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Caesar » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:02 pm

Drande wrote:
Caesar wrote:
Hi mate,

Cheers
Caesar 8)
Thank You a lot. I come from other side of the planet so have no real vision about most things there. What would be Your suggestion how to live and travel there around for a month and a half? Of course Im not a millionaire and maybe the idea of mine to rent a camper is not the right one for lonely kiter/traveler in Perth area. Im pretty sure I wont handle kiting all that time in a row and would like to see something else too as I never been in any parts of Australia ever nor close to that continent.
Hi again,

I don't know your kind of standard. There are plenty of camping places everywhere. If you like, buy a tent for 50 bucks at K-Mart and travel with a regular car. That would be the cheapest option.
All up to you...

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Drande
Medium Poster

Postby Drande » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:08 pm

Caesar wrote:
Drande wrote:
Caesar wrote:
Hi mate,

Cheers
Caesar 8)
Hi again,

I don't know your kind of standard. There are plenty of camping places everywhere. If you like, buy a tent for 50 bucks at K-Mart and travel with a regular car. That would be the cheapest option.
All up to you...

Cheers
Caesar 8)
Not a big standards. Spent a while ago 2 weeks in Portugal living 2 persons with gear in Peugeot 206. No tents. :)

Any hint where to fly from these 3: Auckland, Christchurch, Wellington?

(kiting / Dec-Jan)

Return to “Travel”