All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Spending January in Sri Lanka
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:41 am 
Rare Poster

Me and the misses are planning a kiteboarding trip for the month of January. Planning on buying a couple motorcycles from Negombo and touring the country kiting at different locations. Any tips on what kind of winds I should expect and good parts of the island to hit up. I'm trying to decide if bring my Flysurfer 21 will be both it. Cheers.

=Jason-

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Spending January in Sri Lanka
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:24 am 
Frequent Poster

The main season for sri lanka is May to September. During which the winds are fantastic. The primary place I go to is Kalpitiya to a place called Kite Kuda, although there are several competitors who do a fine job there.

January is a secondary winter season, which I have never personally experienced. That said the wind does look quite ok. It's not everyday like May to September, but it can be 3 days on 2 off or something like that. Winds can be very strong sometimes.

I don't know anything about the rest of the island, except that the northwest (kalpitiya) seems to have the best wind, by a mile.

Contact Mike at KiteKuda with questions. He's a friendly australian guy. Tell him "Tyler" told you to contact him. He's a good friend. Here's his school:

The regular gfs wind guru seems to predict wind conditions almost perfectly. Which is also very rare in asia.

http://www.srilankakiteschool.com

(I am just a regular client; I have no business stake here)

[ 2 posts ]