Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Dream job in winter kitesurf paradise

Forum for travel reports and travel questions


mvandijk
Medium Poster
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:32 pm
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: Salamansa (Sao Vicente, Cape Verde), Vrouwenpolder (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Salamansa (Sao Vicente, Cape Verde)
Style: Waves,Freestyle
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha, Nobile
Brand Affiliation: None

Dream job in winter kitesurf paradise

Postby mvandijk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:18 pm

We own of a kitesurf center on Salamansa beach in Sao Vicente (Cape Verde) and need to be back in Europe to earn money that is needed to invest in the kitesurf center.

Therefore, we urgently need a Kitesurfing Host(ess) starting in January 2014 ending 30 June 2014.
The job will be to make sure that kitesurfers are >100% satisfied and safe. Examples of tasks are to give advice on where to kite, what kite size to use, suggest and take customers on kitesurf trips (other spots, other island), help clients to retrieve their boards, give tips on how to pass the waves and how to keep the kite in the air when caught by waves, ask the center director to keep the beach clean and keep the beach clear or rocks advise the center director on safety precautions. If you are a certified kitesurf instructor, you also have the option to teach.
You’ll be part of a team of about 20 Cape Verdean employees: 5 at the kitesurf center (a hostess for food and drinks, a kitesurf safety manager, a generalist / technician and 2 trainee instructors), 2 for accommodation services, 3 for land-based activities and 10 for general company support (including 2 customer service directors).

Minimum requirements:
• A mature, highly responsible individual
• Driven by customer satisfaction (a natural helper)
• Good interpersonal skills
• Advanced kitesurfing skills (tricks not needed but highly safety orientated)
• Drivers licence
• Good English

Desirable
• Certified as kitesurf instructor
• Good French

Remuneration
This is voluntary job.
• Flight tickets are paid by Kitesurf NOW
• Accommodation is paid by Kitesurf NOW
• Breakfast and lunch are free at the kitesurf center
• In case you are a kitesurf instructor: we offer you €30 per lesson of 2 hours

NOTE: do not expect to earn a lot. We have government imposed restrictions on max number of kiters on the water (18) and we have waves (Salamansa is best suited to intermediate & advanced riders), so expect no more than 1 lesson per day.

User avatar
Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 3:44 pm
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...
Location: DownUnder/Brazil cumbuco-oceanview.com
Contact:

Re: Dream job in winter kitesurf paradise

Postby Caesar » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:41 am

mvandijk wrote:We own of a kitesurf center on Salamansa beach in Sao Vicente (Cape Verde) and need to be back in Europe to earn money that is needed to invest in the kitesurf center.

Therefore, we urgently need a Kitesurfing Host(ess) starting in January 2014 ending 30 June 2014.
The job will be to make sure that kitesurfers are >100% satisfied and safe. Examples of tasks are to give advice on where to kite, what kite size to use, suggest and take customers on kitesurf trips (other spots, other island), help clients to retrieve their boards, give tips on how to pass the waves and how to keep the kite in the air when caught by waves, ask the center director to keep the beach clean and keep the beach clear or rocks advise the center director on safety precautions. If you are a certified kitesurf instructor, you also have the option to teach.
You’ll be part of a team of about 20 Cape Verdean employees: 5 at the kitesurf center (a hostess for food and drinks, a kitesurf safety manager, a generalist / technician and 2 trainee instructors), 2 for accommodation services, 3 for land-based activities and 10 for general company support (including 2 customer service directors).

Minimum requirements:
• A mature, highly responsible individual
• Driven by customer satisfaction (a natural helper)
• Good interpersonal skills
• Advanced kitesurfing skills (tricks not needed but highly safety orientated)
• Drivers licence
• Good English

Desirable
• Certified as kitesurf instructor
• Good French

Remuneration
This is voluntary job.
• Flight tickets are paid by Kitesurf NOW
• Accommodation is paid by Kitesurf NOW
• Breakfast and lunch are free at the kitesurf center
• In case you are a kitesurf instructor: we offer you €30 per lesson of 2 hours

NOTE: do not expect to earn a lot. We have government imposed restrictions on max number of kiters on the water (18) and we have waves (Salamansa is best suited to intermediate & advanced riders), so expect no more than 1 lesson per day.


So the maximum payment for 8 hours work is Euro15.00 per day (if so).
Don't you feel ashamed to post such an ad here?
Man, please!!! Slave time ended a century ago!
Pay what workers deserve!

mvandijk
Medium Poster
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:32 pm
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: Salamansa (Sao Vicente, Cape Verde), Vrouwenpolder (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Salamansa (Sao Vicente, Cape Verde)
Style: Waves,Freestyle
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha, Nobile
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Dream job in winter kitesurf paradise

Postby mvandijk » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:14 am

To Ceasar:

Thanks for giving me opportunity to clarity:

-This is a voluntary job, it's not about pay

Our policy is to only employ and fully pay locals. When we need temporary help from abroad we do this on a voluntary basis. The volunteers have a large contribution in training local staff.

So far we have had excellent, world class executives taking on temporary voluntary roles. These executives have made a key contribution in training locals ( We hope that this job will provide similar invaluable learnings for the staff at the center.

User avatar
Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 3:44 pm
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...
Location: DownUnder/Brazil cumbuco-oceanview.com
Contact:

Re: Dream job in winter kitesurf paradise

Postby Caesar » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:53 am

mvandijk wrote:To Ceasar:

Thanks for giving me opportunity to clarity:

-This is a voluntary job, it's not about pay

Our policy is to only employ and fully pay locals. When we need temporary help from abroad we do this on a voluntary basis. The volunteers have a large contribution in training local staff.

So far we have had excellent, world class executives taking on temporary voluntary roles. These executives have made a key contribution in training locals ( We hope that this job will provide similar invaluable learnings for the staff at the center.


Ohh, that would be perfectly ok with me if your students wouldn't have to pay for their courses either. Or do you cash in that money into your own pockets and let those instructors work "voluntarily"?
Sorry, I don't understand your concept.

mvandijk
Medium Poster
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:32 pm
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: Salamansa (Sao Vicente, Cape Verde), Vrouwenpolder (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Salamansa (Sao Vicente, Cape Verde)
Style: Waves,Freestyle
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha, Nobile
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Dream job in winter kitesurf paradise

Postby mvandijk » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Caesar wrote:
mvandijk wrote:To Ceasar:

Thanks for giving me opportunity to clarity:

-This is a voluntary job, it's not about pay

Our policy is to only employ and fully pay locals. When we need temporary help from abroad we do this on a voluntary basis. The volunteers have a large contribution in training local staff.

So far we have had excellent, world class executives taking on temporary voluntary roles. These executives have made a key contribution in training locals ( We hope that this job will provide similar invaluable learnings for the staff at the center.


Ohh, that would be perfectly ok with me if your students wouldn't have to pay for their courses either. Or do you cash in that money into your own pockets and let those instructors work "voluntarily"?
Sorry, I don't understand your concept.


You seem to be totally focused on lessons with students and on income. We are not a traditional kite center earning our money from lessons. We give very few lessons: the center has a maximum of 1 person taking a lesson per day (average is probably close to 1 lesson every 3 days).
The lesson activity is financially totally not interesting for us we have more costs (because of kite damage we get from kites in the waves) than revenue, so money is not in our pockets - we make a loss on lessons. The 30 euros of a lesson is just a tiny bit of pocked money.
Again the main job is NOT the instructor part (we'd be more than happy to take on a person who will not give lessons).

mvandijk
Medium Poster
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:32 pm
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: Salamansa (Sao Vicente, Cape Verde), Vrouwenpolder (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Salamansa (Sao Vicente, Cape Verde)
Style: Waves,Freestyle
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha, Nobile
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Dream job in winter kitesurf paradise

Postby mvandijk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:47 am

Hi folks!

Thanks for your interest!
We've been extremely lucky:

- one of our clients who visited us last season who fits the profile perfectly, volunteered and will join us next week


Return to “Travel”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests