Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Advice for Venezuela Kite trip Feb?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
moose
Rare Poster
Gear: Placebo board, North Rebel 9m (2009?) Still learning.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Advice for Venezuela Kite trip Feb?

Postby moose » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:59 pm

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has advice on the best places to kite that aren't too crowded in Venezuela. I'm a beginner and my husband is intermediate level. I have been looking into Margarita, Los Roques, and Adicora. Not too picky on accommodations, would prefer clean but cheaper and closer to the beach over anything luxury. Also what are some other fun things to do in the area? Hiking? Caving? Kayaking?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Moose

Oldpeople
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno

Re: Advice for Venezuela Kite trip Feb?

Postby Oldpeople » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:38 pm

isla Coche is right across the channel from isla margarita and in my opinion is way better. Margarita is chop and waves and mostly windsurfers. Coche is off shore, very flat and a long big beach. There are several all inclusive resorts on the beach next to the kiting area. not much else to do on the island. google coche kite center and talk to Chris valentine he will give you up to date costs etc. remember when looking at prices the official exchange rate is 6 B's to the dollar but you should be able to change on the black market at about 60 to the dollar. Maybe the best is to book one night on margarita and then take a water taxi over to coche and walk to the resorts an ask about prices in person. They were in the past a lot cheaper than the published prices on the internet.
The roques are very beautiful but the kiting areas are not on Gran Roque where the acommodations are. you need to hire a launch each day to take you out to the other islands for kiting. So I would suggest Coche is much better.

Kite-adic
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Adicora, Venezuela
Style: Freeride.
Gear: C-kites

Postby Kite-adic » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:22 pm

Adicora has it all:

Flat, waves, space, cheap, no crowds and quiet.

http://kite-adic.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kiteadic?skip_nax_wizard=true

Thank you !

southflorida
Medium Poster
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks

Postby southflorida » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:52 am

Street exchange rate is upwards of 80 BsF to 1 USD (Feb 17, 2014) See dolartoday.com

They've got riots going on last few days, lots of problems in the big cities...not sure about the provinces. Watch the news.

I've never been to Adicora, but it's windy there this time of year. On-shore wind, so you'll have waves to play in or flat inside the break. Kite-adic has some good pics. It's all trade winds there, and Adicora has perfectly clean wind coming in from hundreds of miles of open Caribbean.

Coche is off shore wind and last I saw, had few obstructions immediately on-land. Unless they've started to build more hotels/huts? Been a few years for me. If no huts, should be clean wind. El Yaque: side-shore, deep and choppy. Google earth is your friend.

Tell how it went - I'm curious.

Kite-adic
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Adicora, Venezuela
Style: Freeride.
Gear: C-kites

Postby Kite-adic » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:05 am

Always pretty quiet over here ! ( in Adicora ) :thumb: