Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Driving from California to Chile! Favorite kite spots?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
followthewind
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, CA, USA Sherman Island, CA, USA. La Ventana, Baja Sur, MX.
Favorite Beaches: Alameda, CA, USA Sherman Island, CA, USA. La Ventana, Baja Sur, MX.
Style: Strapless/direc. or freestyle twin tip
Gear: airush lithium kites, Poison RRD twin tip, Axis Vanguard twin tip, Axon sonic surfboard.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Driving from California to Chile! Favorite kite spots?

Postby followthewind » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:10 am

My girlfriend and I are venturing on a year long kiting road trip from California to Chile. We just left the beautiful La Ventana, Baja Sur where we got tons of great downwinders. Anyway, looking for suggestions on favorite spots on our path. Also looking for any hookups on gringo jobs. ;)
We might even try to get IKO certified on our journey.

Currently parked in Mazatlan, probably turning our wheels south in a few days. Trying to document our trip in a travel blog if anyone is interested. http://www.followthewind.net/

Thanks in advance for your help or tips!

adamharr
Rare Poster

Re: Driving from California to Chile! Favorite kite spots?

Postby adamharr » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:50 am

followthewind wrote:My girlfriend and I are venturing on a year long kiting road trip from California to Chile. We just left the beautiful La Ventana, Baja Sur where we got tons of great downwinders. Anyway, looking for suggestions on favorite spots on our path. Also looking for any hookups on gringo jobs. ;)
We might even try to get IKO certified on our journey.

Currently parked in Mazatlan, probably turning our wheels south in a few days. Trying to document our trip in a travel blog if anyone is interested. http://www.followthewind.net/

Thanks in advance for your help or tips!
Stop in Bucerias, Mexico windy season now and warm water just 20 min south of puerto vallarta!
15 to 25 thermal knots every day

followthewind
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, CA, USA Sherman Island, CA, USA. La Ventana, Baja Sur, MX.
Favorite Beaches: Alameda, CA, USA Sherman Island, CA, USA. La Ventana, Baja Sur, MX.
Gear: airush lithium kites, Poison RRD twin tip, Axis Vanguard twin tip, Axon sonic surfboard.

Postby followthewind » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:19 pm

Thanks! Sounds awesome!

BrianMaiden
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Kingfisher, Fuerte, Tarifa, Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Gwithian
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone

Postby BrianMaiden » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:11 pm

that sounds like an awesome trip, a real adventure. Good luck and have fun :D

Try to stop off at Lobitos and pacasmayo (Peru) on the way down :thumb: :D

katumba1
Rare Poster

Postby katumba1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:56 am

Looks like a great trip! subscribed to your newsletter.

What are you plans for the Darien Gap?

followthewind
Rare Poster

Postby followthewind » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:48 am

BrianMaiden wrote:that sounds like an awesome trip, a real adventure. Good luck and have fun :D

Try to stop off at Lobitos and pacasmayo (Peru) on the way down :thumb: :D
Thanks for the tip. Will do.
katumba1 wrote:Looks like a great trip! subscribed to your newsletter.

What are you plans for the Darien Gap?
Really happy you liked the blog!
Our plan for the Darien Gap is to get to Panama and find the most economical way to get our vehicle across. Someone told us a ferry is up and running again, but who knows. It'll be some sort of boat, and these type of situations just require getting there and checking it out. Of course if you, or anyone, has recent, verified information on boats across the Darien Gap, you have our undivided attention. :)

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:12 pm

Awesome trip, going to follow your blog. Wish I could do something like this.

=Jason-

johan_
Rare Poster
Gear: North

Postby johan_ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:56 pm

In chile i really loved The roca quadrada spot, a little north from Matanzas.
But you need a 4x4 for driving directly to the spot, or you could do a small downwinder from las brisas. Great wave and only kite and windsurfers.

In Pichelemu, the infernillo spot is very nice.
No wind or paddle surfers. When i was there, there was never more than 5 kiters on the spot.

in december-january we used 5m2 and 7m2 kites the most. :D

CANUCKMIKE
Rare Poster
Local Beach: BEACHES DISTRICT, Lake Ontario, TORONTO, Collingwood, Georgian Bay.
Favorite Beaches: El Yaque & Coche, Margarita Island, Venezuela; Hooper's bay, Great Exuma islands Bahamas; Long Bay, Turks & Caicos;
Style: fast, smooth.
Gear: Liquid Force 20m, Cabrinha Vector 12m, Core 11m, 9m. 160cm airush board, 140cm Jarvis board, Da Kine Harnesses.

Postby CANUCKMIKE » Thu May 01, 2014 12:11 pm

MY best spots, along your route anyway, and I must add I was there in march and the wind changes was el paredon Guatemala, was a fantastic rare spot. sandy roads tho, but I think you could do it without a 4x4. its not far off the pan America hwy too so thats a plus. also poneloya, near leon Nicaragua, and santa Catalina panama. the cheapest, and really only way to cross the darien gap is via that new ferry. it will cost you quite a bit I think, about $1500 I just cant remember if that price included return or not. good luck... and have and have an amazing trip! I am sure you will find your own secret spots too.
Michael

followthewind
Rare Poster

Postby followthewind » Fri May 02, 2014 4:36 pm

I'm loving all these new recommendations! Right now the girlfriend and I are purchasing a Westfalia, so we're probably going to be kiting back in the San Francisco Bay Area for a bit while we outfit our new rig. Looking forward to days at Sherman!! Then as soon as the new rig is ready for full time habitation, we're hitting the road due south!! This time we're hoping for a little smoother sailing. As in no car accidents! :)

The way I see it this first run was just training. Most people spend a year or more prepping for a journey like this. We hit the road three months after deciding to leave. So even with the four months we've been on the road, the time spent on the accident, starting over, buying a new rig, outfitting it and working again, we'll still be hitting the road in less time than it takes most people to make their first attempt.

Return to “Travel”