Kitesurfing on the east cost. End of sept

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
nafets
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitesurfing on the east cost. End of sept

Postby nafets » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Hey guys,

Im planing a kite surfing trip at around september 20th on the east coast. I will be driving from philadelphia, so I am looking for some place suitable for beginners and with war water. Can you please suggest something?

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Re: Kitesurfing on the east cost. End of sept

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:17 am

Don't like hatteras?????

nafets
Medium Poster

Postby nafets » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:30 am

Hugh2 wrote:Don't like hatteras?????

I dont know anything about any locations. I was looking at virginia beach. How is that?

nafets
Medium Poster

Postby nafets » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:41 pm

Nobody goes kiting in september?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:27 am

Hatteras Island. Don't stop at Virginia Beach or upper Outer Banks (Nags Head, Kitty Hawk). Go all the way to Hatteras Island.

The "Tri-Villages" of Rodanthe, Waves and Salvo are fine with several kiteboarding shops and lesson centers. Avon and Buxton have more motel style lodging than the Tri-Villages, but all have lots of cottages and condos for rent. In any of those villages, you can find a variety of great kiting locations (soundside, oceanside, flatwater, waves). In late September, the rental rates are lower, the water is still relatively warm, and the wind usually blows. Have a great time. :wink:

nafets
Medium Poster

Postby nafets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:36 pm

FLandOBX wrote:Hatteras Island. Don't stop at Virginia Beach or upper Outer Banks (Nags Head, Kitty Hawk). Go all the way to Hatteras Island.

The "Tri-Villages" of Rodanthe, Waves and Salvo are fine with several kiteboarding shops and lesson centers. Avon and Buxton have more motel style lodging than the Tri-Villages, but all have lots of cottages and condos for rent. In any of those villages, you can find a variety of great kiting locations (soundside, oceanside, flatwater, waves). In late September, the rental rates are lower, the water is still relatively warm, and the wind usually blows. Have a great time. :wink:
Warm enough to go without a wetsuit, or? :)

I was also looking and Jacksonville, FL, but i know its the hurricane season over there. Any more info on that?

nafets
Medium Poster

Postby nafets » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:53 am

nafets wrote:
FLandOBX wrote:Hatteras Island. Don't stop at Virginia Beach or upper Outer Banks (Nags Head, Kitty Hawk). Go all the way to Hatteras Island.

Warm enough to go without a wetsuit, or? :)

I was also looking and Jacksonville, FL, but i know its the hurricane season over there. Any more info on that?
'

Anyone?

yowobx
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in Hatteras
Long Bay TCI
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby yowobx » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Am in Hatteras now. The sound is about 87F (a couple days ago it was 89.5) and the ocean feels likes it's well into the 80s. You should be fine at the end of sept unless things really cool off - because the sound is shallow it cools quicker, but it also warms up fast on a hot day. Bring a shorty if worried.

Come to Hatteras, it's a no-brainer. You can kite in almost any wind direction, you have the choice of flatter water and ocean kiting, it's cheaper this time of year...what's not to love?

Also, I would recommend staying in Avon/buxton/frisco, better shopping for groceries, wine and spirits. Just easier to get everything than up in waves/rodanthe/salvo. PM me if you have more questions.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:15 pm

I spend half my year on the NC Outer Banks and the other half in Florida. Trust the feedback you are getting. Hatteras Island is a kiteboarding destination. Go there. Jacksonville, FL has some spots to ride if you have to be there for other reasons, but it is not a kiteboarding destination. If you are traveling from Philadelphia to a spot on the East Coast for the purpose of kiteboarding, go to Hatteras. End of September is the perfect time (although understand that the Atlantic hurricane season lasts until November 30 for all the locations you've identified).

nafets
Medium Poster

Postby nafets » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:32 am

FLandOBX wrote:

I spend half my year on the NC Outer Banks and the other half in Florida. Trust the feedback you are getting. Hatteras Island is a kiteboarding destination. Go there. Jacksonville, FL has some spots to ride if you have to be there for other reasons, but it is not a kiteboarding destination. If you are traveling from Philadelphia to a spot on the East Coast for the purpose of kiteboarding, go to Hatteras. End of September is the perfect time (although understand that the Atlantic hurricane season lasts until November 30 for all the locations you've identified).

Well the hurricane season is what worries me... I dont want to end up going there, trying to find cover from the rain... :(

Return to “Travel”