soarer
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Boracay in March?

Postby soarer » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:08 am

Hey

Would like to go kitesurfing end of March in the Philippines. How's Boracay this time of the year in terms of the crowd? Yes, I read a lot of bad things about Boracay (no space to launch at high tide, no water to kitesurf at low tide [so when do people kitesurf there!?!], too many people, dirty water ...). The thing is, I'll be travelling alone and it looks like all other spots on the Philippines are in rather remote areas where there's not much going on besides kitesurfing (maybe with the exception of Palawan / Puerto Princesa?).

So, yay or nay on Boracay for end of March or any other recommendations for the Philippines?

Cheers

Jamie Farrell
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade, North X Ride

Re: Boracay in March?

Postby Jamie Farrell » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:10 am

So, I went to the Philippines at the end of March / early April and spent 8 days in Boracay. They say locally that from December until March is the kite season and can extend into April. Now, I got a solid one hour in 8 days on Boracay during that time (which sucked). Boracay is super busy but has lots to do and is one of the most expensive places in the Philippines (that I went to). I can see that it gets really crowded there (like any popular place) but if you do go I would recommend spending your time at Greenyard (at the end of the beach)! The beach is lined with kite schools and I visited them all. I spent most of my time hanging out with the crew at Green yard (recommended by Cabrinha) and they were super awesome. However I would not go back to Boracay to kite surf I would go elsewhere.

dt73775
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, Sherman
Gear: Bandit 4, Ozone V9

Re: Boracay in March?

Postby dt73775 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:02 am

Lived in Palawan for 15 years...I don't think it ever blew more than 5 mph's . There are some windy days but really far n few (the houses were made of straw). I know it can get crazy on the west side of the island but be careful coz the rip tides will drag you out straight to china ( but probably a lot of awesome spots). I checked a couple of times with friends back there and they say there are some kiter's but no way a La Ventana.

As for Boracay, "Farrell" is right but I think it should blow good from actually August to Feb. I think end of March is pushing it as that is the start of Summer over there and there really is no wind.

Good Luck.

Return to “Travel”