Mike2000
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Just came back from Costa Rica

Postby Mike2000 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:31 pm

Amazing spot!!!

I just got back form Bahia Salinas (Costa Rica). The spot is just crazy, the wind blows really hard, I was riding a 7 everyday but one day with a 9.
The spot is fairy flat, and not very deep, super wild, lot of nature. Cool rides to the island a couple of miles away. Not many kiters on the water.

I arranged everything with a local school: rent, hotel, transfer.
There are direct flights to Liberia airport.

I spent couple of days visiting the country as well, just amazing!

mdksniper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach Island, NJ
Gear: Naish Rides, BRM Cloud 17, Litewave kiteboards
Has thanked: 0

Re: Just came back from Costa Rica

Postby mdksniper » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Mike2000 wrote:Amazing spot!!!

I just got back form Bahia Salinas (Costa Rica). The spot is just crazy, the wind blows really hard, I was riding a 7 everyday but one day with a 9.
The spot is fairy flat, and not very deep, super wild, lot of nature. Cool rides to the island a couple of miles away. Not many kiters on the water.

Heading down there in a few weeks! Can't wait. Any day trip recommendations? Do you recommend renting a car?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:29 pm

mdksniper wrote:
Mike2000 wrote:Amazing spot!!!

Heading down there in a few weeks! Can't wait. Any day trip recommendations? Do you recommend renting a car?
Watch for stingrays. You might want to read this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2301369

StokedNSmoked
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oneida, Seneca lakes and eastern Lake Ontario.
Favorite Beaches: Outer banks
Style: Survival?
Gear: Slingshot Rallys, Ocean Rodeo Mako, and Shinn Monk.

Postby StokedNSmoked » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:27 pm

Thanks! Going for first time in February. Curious how you did without car. I have 7,9,12m kites. Leave the 12 home? Any need for smaller than 7 (I'm only 145lb/65kg but deal with being overpowered fairly well)?

Mike2000
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby Mike2000 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:32 pm

On kite days you don't need a car.
If you wanna travel around I recommend day trip to Nicaragua which is very close and Rincon de La Vieja.
If you have more time Volcano Arenal.

About the stingrays, on the week I was there I just saw one guy stung and he solved it with hot water, he was kiting the day after. But just in case is good to rent shoes.

Er Presidente
Medium Poster

Postby Er Presidente » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:11 am

Been there several times.
Its a great spot. Super windy. Leave 12m at home. You won't use. Have a 7m and 9m.
fairly flat and choppy.
Great ride to Bolanos island in front. Turquoise water and white sand.
The go to guy there is Nicola, owner of Blue Dream Hotel. The hotel and restaurant is great and he is a top notch instructor and you will see him boosting like you never seen anybody before.
With regard to stingrays, yes they are there. I been there 5 times and never got stung. Renting shoes won't do a damn thing. Don't even bother. Stingrays usually sting you above the foot plant and unless you have metallic shoes, a neoprene shoes is plain useless.
Just follow Nicola advice. He knows the trick to get out in the water safely. but basically all you need to do is to water start from the little sand bar on the far right. Thats what i did and i had zero problem. Otherwise the general rule is always to shuffle your feet when u walk on the sand.

When bitten by stingrays, have hot water poured on the wound ASAP (if u don't have that, pee on it)

You will have a blast

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:05 am

I just got back from Blue Dream in Salinas. DEFINITELY take the 13. The conditions are extremely variable.

I'm 100kg and they laughed at me for taking a 16,12,11. I actually did pump up he 16 on two different days. On those same days I also used the 12. The wind is very unstable and it can change dramatically over he course of a session. They only have one 12m for rent and lighter weight riders were fighting to rent it on those days. My 12 matchs to when most other people are on a 9, my 16 is when others are in 12s. I like holding down a lot of power.

Definitely try eating at Cometa Copal, the food was much higher quality than BD altho BD is more American comfort food. So mix and match is my advice; avoid just eating there out convenience as the food is mediocre.

With re: Stingrays, shuffle to waist deep them body drag. Get your feet off the sand is key. Few stings so far this year. If you can just start riding at knee depth and you can avoid the stingray issue altogether.

In Nicaragua, go to San Jorge beach in Rivas by the lake. The wind is better and steadier than Salinas. It's not a well documented spot but the massive wind farm with hundreds of turbines just to the south will show you how good T he wind is at that spot.its about 3 hours away due to border crossing, best done as an overnight or two day trip.

Er Presidente
Medium Poster

Postby Er Presidente » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:50 am

Blue Dream is everything but American comfort food. Are you sure you went to the same place??
Blue dream is mostly italian food.
12m is useless there. obviously is season dependent.
October to January you won't need.
After January maybe.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:13 pm

I consider pizza, hamburgers, pancakes, etc all American comfort food. The sorry excuse for pasta that was put in front of me when I ordered lasagna would have humiliated any Italian claiming to own that shop. And yes, I sent it back - I considered it beneath American Italian food standards (pretty low).

While there all I saw people ordering American style comfort food without a sight of prosciutto, decent pasta, olive oil, wine, etc

Nicola is whatever he is but his chefs are local and they try to cater to basic comfort food.

Return to “Travel”