Rare Poster
Gear: 2011 slingshot Key HD 10m
2012 naish Park 1/m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hua Hin late march?

Postby Dag88 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:10 pm

Hey guys i was thinking about heading to Hua Hin around the 18th of march anyone been there? Hows the winds during that time? Also any other suggestions on where to go that time of year in Asia? Thanks

Saami
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hua Hin late march?

Postby Saami » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:14 am

March and April are basically the best months for kitesurfing in the Hua Hin area. The beach is wide at that time, making it easy to launch and land, and due to the heat inland on sunny days, the thermal winds are the strongest and most reliable at that time of year. That being said, when I write "strongest" and "most reliable" I mean by local standards; you will still most likely need only large kites (12m+, maybe a 9m if you are lightweight and/or lucky), and even in the best weeks you shouldn't count on being able to kite more than about 2 days out of 3 - and you could end up with an entire week of no wind or winds too weak to ride.

March is between the two monsoon seasons so winds throughout East and South Asia are generally weak then, so you don't have many alternatives if you want to kite at that specific time of year. The Taiwan straits will most likely have wind, as they tend to have year-round, but the conditions there are far from tropical at that time of year. To kite there in March you will want a wetsuit.

If you search this forum for "Hua Hin" and "March", you will find additional information.

Return to “Travel”