Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Please recommend a good destination to take lessons

Postby irwe » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:40 pm

If you to concentrate more on learning to kiteboard there is no better place then South Padre Island. You will get steady easy wind to learn and it will be hot!

Regards,
Ian

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:24 am

I have to agree with the above. South Padre or anywhere on the Texas coast is good for learning. Corpus has a great spot and instructors all so here in Houston. Houston has one of the safest places to learn in the world. Shallow water waist to chest high and moderate wind in the 15-20kts range. Problem this year is the wind is missing or rather very disrupted from the El Nino effect. We have yet really kick off the season and the because of all the rain and shifts in the weather this spring.

I have seen how they teach in Cabarete and I would never recommend there as a place to learn. Too many people in one spot, instructor on land, as you try to learn in some pretty large swell with a decent shore break wave.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:41 am

I agree that the DR is not ideal for beginners. Too crowded. I don't think Texas offers much either, having lived there and spent a lot of time on the water in the Gulf. Turks & Caicos is better than the DR for beginners, but it's expensive. And El Nino has affected conditions throughout the Caribbean, meaning the wind this year isn't ideal.

Bottom line for me, I second the previous suggestion to go Hatteras Island. The wind is good, water (sound-side) is shallow, lots of good instructors. June and July are generally good for wind in Hatteras. Don't stop at Nags Head......go down to Hatteras Island (Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo, Avon......all good). You will have a great experience there. :cool2:

Kitehatteras
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cape Hatteras
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kitehatteras » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:51 pm

FLandOBX is on it, Hatteras the best place in continental US in my opinion . That is why I live & teach here!

www.kitehatteras.net

yowobx
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in Hatteras
Long Bay TCI
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby yowobx » Tue May 12, 2015 1:56 am

Third vote for Hatteras, there's a thread in the main forum about this with lots of good info. Cabarete not a great place to learn, but a great place to kite. DR will be cheaper in the summer but you will learn faster and feel more comfortable in Hatteras, which is a short 9hr or so drive from you - if I were that close I would go once a month lol....If you want to go somewhere in the winter, try Turks and Caicos or Grand Cayman. You can learn anyway you want to in Hatteras, from the beach, from a personal watercraft or from a boat. Lots of experienced people to talk to, lots of shops to buy equipment and some of the best instructors anywhere. What more can you ask for....

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:37 am

I liked SPI and Jeff at Air Padre with a boat to follow and radio helmet for instructions. My wife had fun riding in the boat and taking pictures.

Return to “Travel”