RobinC
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kitesurfing in Rio de Janeiro ?

Postby RobinC » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:31 pm

Hi Nick,

So, since i've posted that thread I went many times to kite in Rio and first of all, I would not at all recommend you to leave your kitegear on the beach. That being said, they are couple bar-clubs along the beach that provide great service like air pumps and an area to leave your gear, but it does not come cheap. Between 50 and 100 reals a day. However, every time I go, I would just consume after my session and I've never really been asked to pay the fee...

The main spot is located in Barra da Tijuca, and the wind usually kicks in the late afternoon. The buses are easy to find, they can just be really painful with the heat in the summer, but at the time you'll be going it will not be that hot... However they can be much faster than 1.5h, like 40 min if no traffic ; you have to stop at the white bridge after the tunnel. You'll just have to walk from there like 5 mins. Just take a pullover for the return, because the AC is gonna kill you !

About the spot, its not the easiest... If you are thinking about unhooked stuff, don't expect too much, the wind is harshly steady and waves get sometimes pretty big and as it's a short break, can be pretty devastating. However, with a surfboard, it's great fun !

I hope you'll enjoy,
Cheers,
Robin

TobiK
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pleasure Bay, Revere Beach, Long Beach Nahant, Yirrell Beach, West Dennis Beach, First Encounter Beach, Chapin Beach
Favorite Beaches: Chapin Beach, Cabo de La Vela
Style: Airstyle, Kiteloops
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7/9/12, North Rebel 12, Flysurfer Sonic 9m, Flysurfer Speed3 19m
Nobile NHP 134, Slingshot Hover Glide NF2, Slingshot Alien Air
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby TobiK » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi guys,

thanks for all the info. I'm thinking of traveling to Rio August 19-27. Looks like that might be a decent time for some good wind.

As I'm only there for such a short period of time, I was wondering whether there's any rental places at the spots mentioned above. If so, how is the gear there and how much would it cost? Also what are the hours....?

Finally, I was wondering whether you know a good place to stay near Arubinha. Looks like it's a 2h drive from Rio, so it'd be nice to rent a place there for 3-4 days.

Cheers and thanks a lot already!

Toby

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:32 pm

Hi Toby! ;-)

Good name and style !

Send me an email and I will get you in touch with a local there...he is also an airstyler and for sure will show you something you want...he is in the testing phase so maybe you can give him some feedback...

Mail me : info (attt) kiteforum.com

Return to “Travel”