Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What gear makes sense to travel with

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
KiterDon
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Presqu'ile Provincial Park
Sandbanks Provincial Park
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, Bahia Salinas, Acadian Islands, San Blas Islands, Punta Chame, Large Frozen Lakes (Snowkiting)
Style: Freestyle - HF, TT, SB +Snowkiting
Gear: Lot's - no particular brand. Depends on the condition...
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What gear makes sense to travel with

Postby KiterDon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:58 pm

Hi folks

My partner and I are travelling to Panama in February and are wondering what type of gear makes the most sense to bring along and what gear (if any) we should rent. We have never traveled by air with kiting gear and are worried about extra baggage charges and possible damage to the gear - especially boards.

One thought we are considering is to bring a couple of kites each and rent boards in Panama. Does this make sense? Any input would be appreciated!

Don and Corina

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: What gear makes sense to travel with

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:16 am

Depends what rental costs are like...

When I traveled to NZ with gear, it was cheaper in the long run to pay excess fees.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:40 pm

Check prices before you go and figure out if it would be better for you to rent or take. I went to Panama last year and was able to keep my bag under 50lbs and did not pay any baggage fees.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:51 pm

My wife and I fly a couple times a year specifically for kiting and we always take our own kites and boards and gear. We have never had any damages after around 18 round trips.
I protect our boards with pool noodles, just cut one side length wise and slide it on the edges and slide it in your board bag if the bag, if its big enough you can pack a kite and bar in there as well...Easy... and I pack the rest of our kites and gear in regular suitcases.

yowobx
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in Hatteras
Long Bay TCI
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby yowobx » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:21 pm

I've got a travel bag that looks like a golf travel bag and it even says on the outside its a golf bag, but its a kite bag. Easy enough to find with your friend google. I can easily get two kites and two boards in the bag. Never had to pay airline fees or charges since many allow golf clubs, but its been a couple years and airline policies have evolved/devolved. And every airline is different. total weight of luggage is also an issue, regardless of whether golf clubs are allowed. If you have status with an airline you might be able to avoid charges. I always bring my harness, bringing kites and a board is a decision based on a whole bunch of things, price/proximity (rental location/kiting location) quality of rentals etc....

Return to “Travel”