Favorite Beaches: Maui
Style: Pro n00b
Gear: Naish 6m/9m.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Living off the grid - then coming back to reality

Postby mikewang » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:20 pm

Hey guys

My name's Mike - I'm 27 years old. I'm just wondering if there's any nomads and drifters on this forum. Over the years, I've met with many long-term travelers but I never asked them what happens after (ie. have family/child, got bored of travelling, no longer physically fit for nomadic life, etc.). Does anybody who has done it before but is now older care to share what happens after?

Thanks

Mike

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings
Has thanked: 0

Re: Living off the grid - then coming back to reality

Postby Johhnn » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:08 pm

I know of one person who did something like this. Actually, it was more like, "Do what you love and the money will follow." For him, at least, didn't work out like that. So, only a sample size of 1. Take it for what it's worth.

I think we hear a lot about the exceptions--the people who do what they want and are lucky enough to be successful at it. For the majority of us, though, it doesn't happen that way. For example in the corporate world. There can be only so many CEO's and upper level managers. People fight and struggle all their lives and most don't make it beyond a certain low level. Few spots, many people. All that work and the majority only make a salary that is a tiny fraction of what the guys who fought to the top of the pile make.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Living off the grid - then coming back to reality

Postby plummet » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:01 pm

I know several. 2 are in a constant state of "peter panning" there way around the world going from one adventure to the next. They are both bachelors with no kids and live the adventure life style. Both have found ways to make enough money to get to the next adventure.

Another bloke I am thinking of Peter panned his way around the world till the early 30's then settled down with wife and kids. Predictably he is now having to build his wealth/assets up now. so he's a good 10 years behind the average person that stuck around and lived a more normal life. But man has he lived!....

Another adventurous buddy is on the other side of the kids growing up tree and is starting to get back out for albeit shorter crazy adventures during the year.

Return to “Travel”