Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

US citizens traveling to cuba?

Postby NHKitesurfer » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Anyone know the intel on US citizens traveling to cuba now that we are renewing our relations with their govt? I am aware you can do charter tours but I want to get there, stay in one hotel and kite everyday, not tour the countryside.

Any info regarding how to book a flight and hotel (I know where I want to stay, just don't know how to book it) is greatly appreciated.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: US citizens traveling to cuba?

Postby Laughingman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Travel to Canada, get on a plane go...

If you are lucky they will not stamp your passport when you arrive.. they typically don't but they have stamped my on occasion.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:24 pm

right now there are criteria. If you go through Canada, your US flight and you Canada Cuba flights have to be distinct... Air canada for instance will not fly you from Chicago to Toronto or Montreal and transfer you to a flight to Varadero or Cayo coco... They need to be two stand alone flights

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:08 pm

I believe you'll find since 9/11 that US dept of homeland security require all flights through their airspace supply a manifest of names and passport details. From eastern Canda to Cuba flights usually go through us airspace ... :)

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly

Postby seaplus » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:21 am

It'll be awhile before US citizens can travel to Cuba like you're suggesting. Currently it's opened up for Cuban-Americans and those on culture/medical/religious tours. The fly thru another country option used by thousands of Americans over the decades is currently your only (yet sketchy) way to kite Cuba.

Good luck

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:40 am

I've been looking into flying via Mexico, seems feasible.

J_kiter16
Rare Poster
Gear: North Rebel 9 meter and 12 meter
Been thanked: 0

Postby J_kiter16 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:57 pm

I've been doing research as well. It's come up as cheaper to book two separate flights. The first flight to either Cancun or Nassau from the US. The second flight on a Cuban airlines to Havana. You should directly book the Cuba flight from the Cuban airlines page.

Cubana de Aviacion
Aerogaviota

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:12 pm

trying to make sense of this... why would anyone fly from Cancun to Cuba?

As a Canadian I have been to Cuba more times then I can count on both hands... but not because of the 4.5 Cuba star resorts.. (2.5 star in the rest of the world) or the bland food (learn how to hack the buffet real quick) or the light winds....
We go there because it is cheap, and we have a chance to go kiting in the middle of winter for under 1g per person All in...

Flying to Cancun then to Cuba seems to defeat the purpose unless you can find a smokin deal... may as well stay in Cancun no?

Cancun is by far a nicer place with better wind options.

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly

Postby seaplus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:33 pm

...for most Americans (self included) it is the ol' "Forbidden Fruit" theory.
I'm sure my desire to go to Cuba will subside once it has opened up.

Crazy, isn't it?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:05 pm

Crazy Ameeeerrricans

I complain about it, and rightfully so.... but for some reason we keep going back...
I look around at all these Brits (50% of tourists are Brits in Cuba... they are almost as bad as Ameeerican tourists) just there for sun and drinks and I have to wonder... wtf are they doing flying across the ocean to come here... they don't even kite... I certainly would not be spending the kind of money they spend to go to Cuba just to sit by a pool and drink shitty water downed Cuban beer, among crumbling infrastructure, everything is in disrepair... toilets leak, air cons work sometimes and leave a puddle, you can't lock patio doors... even if you could actually muster the strength to open one, tiles are missing, chrome off the taps and such is long gone, Roofs leak in every room if there is a heavy rain... garbage around the perimeter of the resort, beach chairs are old and saggy... I could go on and on and on... but the water is turquoise blue and the sand is white and the wind if it comes in is warm and steady.
I've been there when there was so many kiters on the water I vowed I'd never go back... then the next visit my wife and I were the only kiters there... it was magical 6 days of 7 warm and windy... Next visit... there are 12 Hungarians, a German based school and no wind... it was a shit show.
I have never seen such disregard for other peoples safety...EVER The school did what they could but these Hungarians... they were f'n crazy

Return to “Travel”