Rare Poster
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Madagascar / Sakalava Bay - Waves?

Postby zlu » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has ever been to Sakalava Bay mainly for kitesurfing waves? From what I found so far it looks like the waves are not too good with the wind side-on ...

Also: has anyone stayed in Ramena and took the daily transfer to Sakalava? How easy/long is that? Can you always get a transfer back to Ramena easily?

Any info would be highly appreciated!

Cheers,
zlu

yordano23
Rare Poster
Local Beach: East beach UK
Favorite Beaches: North Madagascar, Chalkwell on Southerly,
Style: a bit of everything, just having fun
Gear: 7,5m mr Green, 9m Smoke, 12RPM,17m Fat Lady, Widowmaker (currently split in 2), Wainman Joke

Re: Madagascar / Sakalava Bay - Waves?

Postby yordano23 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:24 pm

Hi, been in Sakalava in 2012, the bay is a bit gusty but rideable even for beginners, further out the reef is fun, don't expect peeling barrels but great for messing about even on a twintip, wind good, waves break all over the shop but what a magical place. Also went to Emerald Sea, great wind, sketchy launch but once out all good, reef great, good waves, fun. Madagascar was the best thing I have ever come up with, absolutely magical country, we traveled for 3 weeks around the North. Do your self a favour, go!! You will remember it for the rest of your days...

zlu
Rare Poster
Gear: North

Postby zlu » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:24 am

Thanks for the info! Sounds great ...
Do you know how easy it is to get a ride from Ramena to Sakalava every day? Accommodation there seems a lot cheaper and our financial resources are a bit limited ... ;) Thinking of flying into Nossi Be and then gettin a ride up to Diego Suarez, because everything else seems very expensive too.

Did you take anything against Malaria?

alf33
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sakalava Bay - Madagascar
Favorite Beaches: Sakalava Bay - Madagascar
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-ONE
Brand Affiliation: https://www.kiteparadise-madagascar.com

Postby alf33 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:06 am

Hi all,

I have a kitesurf hotel in Madagascar, Sakalava Bay, next to Diego Suarez. The name is KiteParadise Madagascar. The wind is incredibly strong here and the conditions are the best I have ever seen in the world.
Waves can reach 3 meters on good day but don't expect to get barrels every day :)
You have taxi brousse commuting between Ramena and Ankorikehely village. From Ankorikehely you'll then have to walk on the sand track for 40 minutes to reach Sakalava Bay.

However you can hire a real taxi (Renault4) in Ramena to go directly to Sakalava Bay.

Click here for more information : https://www.kiteparadise-madagascar.com

Return to “Travel”