Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Travel review--learning to foil at Aquaholics St. Lucia

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
AGK
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Travel review--learning to foil at Aquaholics St. Lucia

Postby AGK » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:24 pm

I just spent a week on St. Lucia kitesurfing out of the Aquaholics location, and I recommend in very very highly. Simon and Ron are great people and the location is fabulous—flat water, rolling chop, and waves on different parts of the bay. Easy launching and landing, hammocks waiting in the shade between sessions, and great scenery.

I am a reasonably experienced kitesurfer who was teaching myself to use a strapless foilboard on this trip, and the location was great for that. The water is deep enough to foil without having to body drag out, there’s no shorebreak to deal with, there is only one very obvious shallow reef to avoid, and the water and wind conditions are good for getting through the early parts of the learning curve. I’m a very slow learner and was getting 20-30 second rides by the end of my time. More important, I got through learning how to handle the board and foil, waterstart, and go wherever I want with the board on the water, so I can now confidently continue to learn pretty much anywhere. Aquaholics stored my gear for me for a very reasonable fee, which made it easy for me to not rent a car

I had a chance to watch Simon and Ron teach beginning kitesurfing to several students, and they do a great job. They are patient, communicate clearly, and put a high priority of safety and fun. I would recommend Aquaholics to anyone as a place to learn.

An added bonus is the great community of local and traveling kiters that hangs out at Aquaholics --- nice people, great attitudes, and none of the “I’m too cool to talk to anyone that can’t do a handlepass” attitude that can occur at other locations.

All in all, a great place run by great people – I can’t wait to go back!

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Re: Travel review--learning to foil at Aquaholics St. Lucia

Postby Tony » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:32 am

Where did you stay? I'm thinking of doing the same (improve my foil skills and enjoy a warm winter location). It would be good to be able to stay somewhere nice (that my wife would be happy with) and be close enough to store gear and ride from there.
Thanks
Tony

Return to “Travel”