Gear: F-One Bandit 8
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

South East Asia - Questions

Postby etaytz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:32 pm

Hey mates,

I am planing a trip with my gear to South East Asia this December-March,
destinations: Mui ne(Vietnam), Boracay(Phillipines) and Hua hin(Thailand).

I have a few questions for the experts:

1. I am planing to go solo, are those destinations friendly for the solo traveller?

2. what will be the best way to find cheap accommodation for a month in each place?

3.I am planing to travel with my 8m2 and 12m2 bandits and a 135X40 Twin tip, does it seem right to you guys?

4. when I will arrive to the beach, should I pay member fees to join a kitesurfing club?

5. what will be the best way to move between the destinations? Vietnam-Phillipines-Thailand?

5. last question and a shot in the dark, but did any of you fly with Aeroflot(Russian company) and knows what do they think about kitesurf gear?

Thanks for your help!
Etay

Lowkeydude
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Muskegon - Grand Haven, Michigan USA
Favorite Beaches: Boca Grandi, Aruba
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR 15mt
Naish Pivot 12mt, 9mt
Board Naish Monarch 138-42
Foil board Axis
Been thanked: 0

Re: South East Asia - Questions

Postby Lowkeydude » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:57 pm

I can answer regarding Aeroflot.

I have Sky Team Platinum status and when I flew with other airlines they never charged me for the golf bag.

Despite Aeroflot belong to SkyTeam I flew with Aeroflot this summer 2017 and they charged me 125 usd for my golf bag with kitegear.

They lost my luggage and another was delayed. I had my worst customer service experience ever and I can tell you I travel a lot for work.

No feedback for days to know about the status of my luggages.one bag was delivered after 5 days.

Another luggage was lost.

Now it is November, my luggage was lost end of August. I'm still having issue to get a refund of my list luggages and customer service is horrible.

I will never fly any longer with Aeroflop. It does not matter if it is cheaper as at the end, they lost my gear and I still haven't received any refund.

Thanks God I bought the insurance with my Amex which will likely help me a bit

Franco

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:31 pm

Mui ne :There are past posts with a lot of info.on this forum. I found Mui Ne easy , a bit of a pain to get to if you have a short time though. Was there in Feb. 2 years back used my 7 mtr everyday with surfboard ,i'm 175 lbs.

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:15 am

etaytz wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:32 pm
Hey mates,

I am planing a trip with my gear to South East Asia this December-March,
destinations: Mui ne(Vietnam), Boracay(Phillipines) and Hua hin(Thailand).

I have a few questions for the experts:

1. I am planing to go solo, are those destinations friendly for the solo traveller?

2. what will be the best way to find cheap accommodation for a month in each place?

3.I am planing to travel with my 8m2 and 12m2 bandits and a 135X40 Twin tip, does it seem right to you guys?

4. when I will arrive to the beach, should I pay member fees to join a kitesurfing club?

5. what will be the best way to move between the destinations? Vietnam-Phillipines-Thailand?

5. last question and a shot in the dark, but did any of you fly with Aeroflot(Russian company) and knows what do they think about kitesurf gear?

Thanks for your help!
Etay
This is regarding Boracay

1.no problem

2.airbnb.com or boracay longterm rentas facebook group

3. Depends on your weight, 12m can be to small if you are +85kg especially in the afternoon when the wind normaly drops a few kts. You can keep an eye on http://www.boracayweatherstation.com and you will have an idea.

4. More or less all the beach belongs to one of the kite schools so normal procedures is to store your gear at one of the schools then you also get access to compressor and the BeachBoys that belongs to the school you are at. You can drag your gear by your self everyday and find a spot to launch but being at a school no1. Of your question will solve it self much easier.

5. I almost always fly with cebupacificair.com works great if your plan is to do Nam fist Philly second and Thai last.

5b. I did fly Airoflot a few years ago and had no problem with the gear but as always before booking read the airlines rules and regulations for sport equipment or over sized luggage.

/Atte

supachip1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast uk

Postby supachip1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:35 pm

re Hua Hin

getting there is easy, and a few options, 2.5hours from airport, there are taxi's at the airport, price is 1500-2000bt, thats the quickest direct way.
you can also get a bus at 8pm or 6am, look at lomprayah.com. their office/pick up is just off Khao san road which is 1 of the busy traveller streets, plenty of bars etc etc there to lose a few hours in while waiting for the bus. taxi airport-Khao san rd 400bt, lomprayah bus about 500bt
there is an even cheaper bus but goes from southern bus terminal, but unsure of times. decent air con bus 150bt
also 12 seater minivans for 180bt, you can can possibly get them from the airport too but i cant remember.

Hua hin itself, there are plenty of cheap rooms, depends what you call cheap. the kite schools will have or know of accomodation, surf spot, KBA, north kiteboarding, other cheap rooms are on soi 88, sport villa, further form the beach is cheaper, probably best to get a cheap hotel 1st, then drive round a bit to find a monthly place.
you can rent scooters for 2000bt per month.
good cheap food and drinks all over, food courts, night markets, bars, red light area, Hua Hin is a nice place in general, majority of westerners that time of year are older scandanavians

kite wise i doubt you'd get to use an 8m, 12/14 would be better (based on 85kgs.) unless its new, i dont think you have to pay anything or join any clubs, unless you want to store your kit everything is free.

Return to “Travel”