alicia
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: x
Brand Affiliation: None

Where to travel as beginner in feb?

Postby alicia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:22 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a complete beginner, been out on the water three times now and have not even tried to go upwind etc. But I've already fallen in love and feel super determined to actually start learning this!

From the end of January till beginning of March I have time off from my studies, so I want to use this time to go to 1/2 spot(s) and just kitesurf a lot and really learn it. First I was thinking either Colombia or the Philippines, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the information on the internet. I'd prefer to go somewhere a bit more quiet, but as a beginner I guess it would be nice to have at least one good and reliable school around to still do some classes/have someone to help me? (Also, as i'm still a student I'd rather go somewhere a bit cheaper.)

Really happy to hear any recommendations about which spots (anywhere in the world) to go to with very little experience!
And all other advice for travelling alone as a beginner is much appreciated :D

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Leeupan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: GK vSonic 6 & 11
Cloud C2 17
Progeni Mutare
Xelerator door
Hoff DD140

Re: Where to travel as beginner in feb?

Postby rynhardt » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:49 am

Langebaan (Cape Town) should be on your short list.

Chris30
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Bali - Sanur
Thailand - Hua Hin
Style: Freeride / Oldschool
Gear: Boards: 2x Spleene: Session 45 (145x46 cm) & Rip 39 (139x42,5 cm)
Flysurfer Speed 4 18m & 10m

Postby Chris30 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Maybe also Hua Hin, Thailand should be worth a closer look...
Nice weather (Hot), usually steady and reliable wind, accomodations everything from cheap hostels to 5+ star Hotels.
Schools I know of: KBA (Kiteboarding Asia, with 2 or three spots along the the beach), North Kiteboarding Club.
It's relatively clean for asian towns (the King has a residence there), clean water (since a few years they have a good sewage plant) and it's touristy but more a laid back atmosphere. Bars and all but not the big party town.

Cheers

robclaisse
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Favorite Beaches: Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: North Neo's : 10,8,6,5
Firewire Vader 5'3"
Shinn Jackson / F-foil
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi Alicia, there are loads of good spots around Jan-Mar time and though some will be quite busy, that isn't necessarily a bad thing as you'll have other kiters around to learn from and help you out if you have any issues. So here a few options:
  • Langebaan was suggested earlier and I'd agree. Cape Town area is amazing with super consistent wind, great kiting and loads of other stuff to try. I go to Cape Town every year and can't recommend it enough - I actually wrote a blog post about it with some tip that you might find helpful.
  • Turks and Caicos - I haven't been but I've only heard great things about the place. Beautiful island, great wind and lots of flat water, so perfect for beginners. Search around and you'll find lots of locations reports on the place.
  • Perth - depending on where you live this might be a bit of distance away but Western Oz is great for kiting at this time of year and the wind there is super smooth, not too strong and there is plenty of flat water spots and schools if you need some extra lessons.
  • Margarita, Venezuela. El Yaque is the spot on the main island but Coche is the place to stay as the wind is more consistent and the water flatter. You can also do some pretty trips to Los Roques, which is a stunning place to kite.
So there are a few ideas. thailand or Vietnam are also worth considering or some of the other Caribean islands. Generally, as a beginner, you might find it helpful to have a lesson when you first arrive just to give yourself some confidence at the new spot. Also thinking about staying in a hostel or shared house, that way you'll meet loads of other kiters and quickly find some other people to go kiting with. If you head to Langebaan/Cape Town then let us know and maybe I'll see you out there.

Return to “Travel”