Favorite Beaches: Maui
Style: Pro n00b
Gear: Naish 6m/9m.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Maui in winter - a lot of rain right?

Postby mikewang » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:00 pm

Hey guys

I've been going to Maui every winter but only for short period (2 weeks). I want to go this year for 2 months between Dec and Feb.

I know wind is not lit but is it really rainy? Every year I get rained on, on the north shore, but not sure if it's just by chance.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Maui in winter - a lot of rain right?

Postby fernmanus » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:20 am

Yup, you will get rained on every year on the north shore during the winter. It is a real crap shoot, you might get only a little rain or a 10 day downpour. There is a reason that all of the hotels and condos are located in Kihei/Wailea & Lahaina - they get so much less rain. My dad lives on Maui, so I visit in the winter. I have had luck kiting in Kihei when it was raining on the north shore. However, the wind can be light, especially if it is a Kona wind. So, I bring big kites in the winter. I am learning to foil, so that I can do that instead. There are a lot more light wind days in the winter.

mikewang
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maui
Style: Pro n00b
Gear: Naish 6m/9m.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mikewang » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:33 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:20 am
Yup, you will get rained on every year on the north shore during the winter. It is a real crap shoot, you might get only a little rain or a 10 day downpour. There is a reason that all of the hotels and condos are located in Kihei/Wailea & Lahaina - they get so much less rain. My dad lives on Maui, so I visit in the winter. I have had luck kiting in Kihei when it was raining on the north shore. However, the wind can be light, especially if it is a Kona wind. So, I bring big kites in the winter. I am learning to foil, so that I can do that instead. There are a lot more light wind days in the winter.
Yea true dat. It's just reality. I been to maui 1 time in summer, 4 times in winter. summer time is nuking 6m everyday (at least that 2010 summer). then wintertime I don't really kite (even 9m under powered). Learned to surf and spearfish instead.

The thing is, I can only go in winter, summer time work is busy.

Foiling, it looks very efficient, will try it. I do miss the power/gnarly conditions of maui though.

mahalozzz

kenn f poulsen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: jomfrugaard
Favorite Beaches: Lanes on maui :o)
Style: wave
Gear: Neo- kazumasurfboards
Has thanked: 0

Postby kenn f poulsen » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:45 pm

i go to maui every oct-nov and the rain has never been a problem, maybe in the evening or early morning in haiku area.
and for the wind , the biggest kite i use is 9m. 6-7m for most of the time. (strapples surfboard and 80kg)

Return to “Travel”