Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Martinique

Postby Grizwald » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:51 am

Does anyone have any recent information on kiting in Martinique? If Windfinder is to be believed it should be close to Nirvana (the state of being not the group).
Pointe Faula is reputed to be best spot but I am wondering if the Sorgassum problem has rendered it nasty stinky.
Any tips on places to stay are also greatly appreciated.

rienkb
Rare Poster
Gear: no gear
Has thanked: 0

Re: Martinique

Postby rienkb » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:02 am

I have been recently to the island.
Wind season is late december to June. Right now is hurricane season..which means lots of rain and no wind. Due to hurricanes on the atlantic, the wind direction will also change (which is not good for kiteboarding).
This year they have (just like many caribbean islands) a huge/big/ epic stinky sorgassum problem.
All kite beaches and bays are still covered in epic amounts of stinky sorgassum.
At the moment they are cleaning it up..But that proces goes veryyy slowly.
I think that at the beginning of 2019 the situation will be back to normal (just before the high tourist season begins).

The winds are never strong by the way. 21-23 knots is the absolute maximum. But 15-20 knots is more likely on a very good wind day. I would say Brazil is the Nirvana for its consistent wind but not Martinique.

Here a link to follow the sargasses problem:
https://madikeravoyages.fr/crbst_549.html

La pointe Faula is the most acces-able spot and the main kiteboarding spot. Which can be veryyyy busy when its windy. It has a tiny lauch area. You have to roll up your lines every time you come in for a break due to lack of space. But once on the water its okay.

Accomodation: There is lots of choice....depends what you are looking for. I would say stay somewhere along the east coast, that where you will be kiting.

But most important is to rent a car. without that you can't go anywhere.

frenchkick
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Maine
Favorite Beaches: None
Style: None
Gear: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby frenchkick » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:04 pm

I am French and I went in February, I got so much fun and wind. Yeah some issues with sargasses but wasn’t that bad.

Here url live wind at pointe faula

https://www.windguru.cz/685248

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Thank you both VERY much for the information.
I agree that Brazil has better winds but I am married to a lovely woman who does not kite but supports me kiting. I need to find a place where she feels safe and has things to do.

frenchkick
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Maine
Favorite Beaches: None
Style: None
Gear: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby frenchkick » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Grizwald wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:23 pm
Thank you both VERY much for the information.
I agree that Brazil has better winds but I am married to a lovely woman who does not kite but supports me kiting. I need to find a place where she feels safe and has things to do.
My wife is same thing, she doesn’t kite but she support my hobby, we go place that she can relax during I kitebording, right now coming back from Madeleine island Canada (wow great wind and time) make a stop at Prince Edward Kiteboarding spot.

Return to “Travel”