Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

To help or not to help (kiter in trouble with lost kite)

forum for kitesurfers

kik128
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

To help or not to help (kiter in trouble with lost kite)

Postby kik128 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:21 pm

Hey Guys,
Just a question to all you kiters.

Today I was out on a North Rhino 16 in lightish winds and my harness broke on me. I use a leash that is attached to the CL . Unfortunately when the harness broke, the CL went and the kite crashed LE down.

I was 50 metres from shore and made a decision at the time to head for shore as the wind was diagonally on shore. I was Sure the kite would drift on to the beach. To my shock and horror the kite somehow with a rip drifted in slightly then out to the into the bay.

I then approached a fellow and more experienced kiter to assist. To my dismay, he refused and excused that he could loose his gear as well as the winds were light. Hmm I was bitterly dissappointed and thanked him for his time and headed down the beach to hail a anchored boat 800 metres away

Fortunately the two guys and two girls kindly helped me to retrieve my kite. By the time we reached it, the kite was about 400 metres out and my fellow kiter was jumping and having fun in what he said was too light a wind to help.

Question: Do you help if you are able to or what would you do ?

My belief is if he was unable to retrieve it himself, then at least offer to pull me to the kite so I can self rescue.

He did not even do that !
There was only at the time the two of us

What's your opinion? what would you do
I know what I would do. Try to help

bondo
Frequent Poster

Postby bondo » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:34 pm

you should be careful when attempting this, but I think its something you should do. if that guy ever has his harness break, i'll bet you wont be rushing to help him out, right? and who has control over things breaking?

window guy
Frequent Poster

Postby window guy » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:05 pm

fellow kiter = freind.

true or false.

unfortunatley sometimes the answer is false.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:07 pm

Depends on the brand of the stranded kite. Haha !
Happy new year cuys.
Nico

pipedragon
Frequent Poster

Postby pipedragon » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:48 pm

I think it depends on the conditions. I always try to help out when I can but sometimes if someone or a kite are just too far downwind I will end up harming myself or my gear. Also it depends on the wind and the frequency of wind. For example if it was a storm day and it was my first day out kiting in months I am pretty much going to ignor the world. If I am in the are of a downed board or kiter I would probably help but I am not going to ruin my day of fun to do a rescue. :bye:

FredMurphy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredMurphy » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:02 pm

As long as he'd rescue you if you'd have needed it, that all you can really expect. I think a lot of kiters would have helped though.

Hardcave1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Out front of my house at Brighton, Brisbane
Favorite Beaches: At home
Style: Old school
Gear: 2001 underground twin tip, 2013 North Rebel
Brand Affiliation: North

Postby Hardcave1 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:34 am

I would only help if it was life and death.
Their have been a few kite rescue that I have scene that have gone wrong. Your out their you deal with it.
Now that so many new kiters are hitting the beach and after a few weeks think they know it all and complain when they go out too far and drop the kite and spit at you because didn't help.
I'm not saying your one of these ppl it's just that the growing number of kiters is causing everyone to mind their own business.
If it's a bad enough experience for them it may make them stay away.
Alex

kik128
Frequent Poster

Postby kik128 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:27 am

Guys,

I think you guys missed the point, at the time I asked this gentleman, the kite was 50 m off shore. Not km's downwind.

Anyway I am resigned to the fact that there are kiters and there are friendly kiters.

Kiters who think that rescuing someone or their equipment may ruin their session. Well what can I say ?

It may not be life and death but it could be friggin $$$$ to the person in need. It you're worried about your session than I hope the wind stops for you every time you pump up your kite

What has this world come to ?
In closing, all I can say is "that Karma's a BITCH"

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17, Flite 12, Cabrinha Apollo 10
Brand Affiliation: XL Kites

Postby SENDIT! » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:42 am

Don't despair yet kik128. Not everyone's a rat bastard. :wink: I've been out before and had my chicken loop break with such force that it also broke my leash buckle. While I swam in, someone else caught my kite (which was flipping along happily in the breeze) brought it ashore, then deflated the leading edge. All while holding his kite. Around here, we regularly will grab someone's drifting board and either bring it to them, or in to the beach. Those who don't help are generally the ones who haven't needed it yet. But, as we all know, sooner or later they will. Then maybe they'll get the picture. :roll:

Aloha,
SENDIT!

DART VADER
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Tube, Foil
Brand Affiliation: Sportime Family

Postby DART VADER » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:39 pm

I always help all the kiters. When my best friend'kite went into the bay, this summer, (chiken loop broken) i spent 2 ours to get the kite and land. Jump high

Return to “Kitesurfing”