Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone using skimboards in ALL winds?

forum for kitesurfers

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Anyone using skimboards in ALL winds?

Postby biggins » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:19 am

Curious if anyone has gone to using only skimboards...i.e. not just for light winds.

If so what are you using, size etc. fins no fins, and what types of kites are you using?

Love my skim, and thinking of using it in all winds all the time. Great for travel with no fins and no straps. Also, I'm heavy so it would help with light winds etc.

Mostly curious since you don't hear much from skimmers anymore.

j

kiteboardkorea
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

all winds

Postby kiteboardkorea » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:02 am

Hi Biggins

Using only my Underground Skimboard in all winds,

most of the time with straps and fins in waves,

Only use one kite 9 m ( SLE )

In light winds ride the beach surge finless without straps using the 9m kite but prefer straps in waves.

One Kite, One Board,....works well.

If surf is a overhead I then change to my surfboard ( with straps)

Drew

zero
Medium Poster

Postby zero » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:47 am

yep, did this for about a year. great fun, and a real skill builder. i highly recommend it. i still ride it a lot, but have a bigger selection of boards to choose from now, so i mix it up a lot. you should be able to ride a skim in just as much wind as anyone can ride a small TT. if you can't, just do it for a day. you will get a lot better. only riding a skim in light flat water is a big mistake, and is the least fun. the only genuinely hard part of skims (except tricks) is getting out though real breaking waves.

of course, if it has straps or fins, it's not a skimboard, but people can enjoy whatever perversion they like.

i would just get one of the pintail cabals, or a zap or other real skim of similar dimensions. i don't think you need it super light, and have a feeling this actually isn't good for really high winds. i do recommend also riding a strapless board with fins (surfboard) as a cross trainer, because you can often learn new things on that easily and then translate it into the skim. you'll get better at both faster.

there have been many posts on skims. the best footage is from bryan lake and joey pasquali (old new school videos), mark shinn, and some short stuff from skyte. as you get better, the jumping aspect becomes very cool and rewarding.

small kites are good.

there is nothing as pure as a skim.

Oleg
Frequent Poster

Postby Oleg » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:33 am

Here is some pics from Mark Shinn...

zero
Medium Poster

Postby zero » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:41 am

that first pic of shinn is absolutely incredible if he completed the move.

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:33 pm

thanks for the replies,

Drew are you back in Korea or still in Aus? 9m and skim eh? Must be above 13knots or so eh? I'm kinda heavy at 200 and can ride a skim from around 10knots with a 14m SLE. Thinking about getting out the longboard for low low winds. :)

I definately think skims/surfboards are so much more of a free ride kinda feeling. Not as high jumps etc. but it sure as hell makes a lot of fun in 12knots!

Curious how the Nobile skim rides compared to the cabals?

j

randal
Medium Poster

Postby randal » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:15 pm

I went out on my nobile skim for the first time, and left it without fins. I was lit on my 16, and while it was fun, the great lakes chop made it quite a handfull at speed. It'll be interesting to see what the difference is when I throw the fins on. I'm gonna try rear fins only, and then both sets. I'll let you know how it handles.

simonm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1
Local Beach: Sahara
Favorite Beaches: Invercargill
Style: Mod
Gear: I always wanted a pony

Strapless season

Postby simonm » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:33 am

After a couple of knee ops I thougth that strapless might be the go this season. So, have been exclusively riding the skim in flat water and mushy waves and the surfboard when the waves pick up. Definately have a preference for the power and drive of the surfboard, but the skim has been surprisingly fun. I have the Nobile which I have tried with and without fins. Whilst the finless loose feel was great in calmer conditions, when the wind and chop picks up, the fins really added to the enjoyment for me. I have never spent so much time on my 5m kite as this season with the skim board. In fact, I almost never get out on anything larger than a 9 these days. For me the skim is funnest in sloppy surf on the 9m. You can ride waves, use the ramps for tricks and boost off the swell. Pretty much like being in an oversized awsome natural skate park.

Anyhow, after having so much fun this year, I am almost thinking about leaving the TT in the garage again next year.

MeafordBoarder
Frequent Poster

Postby MeafordBoarder » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:54 am

Hmmm, maybe I should try this...

Is it worth adding fins to a skimboard?
I have one from my "skimming" days, wood, I might add fins for stability...

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:33 am

Wow that's two of you that say the 9m is the most used kites with the skim. What kind of winds are you using them in with the 9m kites? approx. I'm curious since I've only used skims on the very low end to give me something to do until I switched to the TT so I've never used it with a tiny kite.

j

Return to “Kitesurfing”