Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Light wind kitesurfboard or best go surfing?

forum for kitesurfers

michelinman
Rare Poster

Light wind kitesurfboard or best go surfing?

Postby michelinman » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:52 am

I use a great 6' x 18.25" quad kitesurfboard (DC) ordered on the basis of a thread here on surfboards some months ago.It has no upper wind range limit ,gybes/jibes like a dream, quick etc etc.

I only use a 9 and 12 metre hybid kite and not interested in skim boards or 7' surfboards or getting a bigger kite for light winds.Anything under 15/16mph not worth going out on with present set up.

I have been thinking of ordering a 6' x 21" swallow tail (def. quad again) kitesufboard for those 12-15mph summer breezes for ankle /waist high wavelets of which there are plenty of days here .

Question. Would I gain any real advantage over the present set up or really it is just a waste of money and best to go longboarding or other?

Partic interested in what the New Zealnd guys have to say since v. useful advice on other surfboard related threads.Only interested in customs.

Thanks in advance for any sensible contrib.

PD

R a i n e r
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby R a i n e r » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:59 am

Lightwind?
'Ever thought of a "Door", a "Session" or a "RIP Plus" from http://www.spleene.com ?
They all 'got perfect lightwind performance. The Door even goes upwind with less than 10 knots!

panic
Medium Poster

Postby panic » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:08 pm

I really like extreme light air kiteboarding (10-12mph), because everything is very quiet, it's extremely surreal. I have kited on my mini longboard in just a whisper of wind. The only problem is that once the wind drops low enough, kites are nigh impossible to water-relaunch, or even just plain old launch! Not that I crash kites into the water very often, but mistakes do happen.

I use a 9m SLE kite on those days because it turns faster than a bigger kite. I don't see why you couldn't use your 12 on a slightly bigger shortboard and have a big time. Or at least a reasonably more exciting time than trying to surf a longboard on ankle slappers...

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:10 pm

panic wrote:I really like extreme light air kiteboarding (10-12mph), because everything is very quiet, it's extremely surreal. I have kited on my mini longboard in just a whisper of wind. The only problem is that once the wind drops low enough, kites are nigh impossible to water-relaunch, or even just plain old launch! Not that I crash kites into the water very often, but mistakes do happen.
I ride a Speed 2 19 and it is really easy to relaunch.
Even managed to relaunch on the beach in 4 to 5 mph without walking backwards.
So far I have relaunched from the water it in wind as low as 7mph and always at the first attempt. Having a full bridel keeps the kite well opened up even when leading edge down. One godd long pull on the rear lines and it reverses off the water. Then you let go of one line and it spins around and up it goes. In really low wind when you spin it around it will drop back down on the water but trailing edge down...from there it goes up with a small tug on the front lines.

Flysurfer even makes a super light version of the Speeds that will fly in winds too low to pull you out of the water.

Your right that very low wind kiting is really neat at times. Recently I was out in winds averaging 7/8mph but with a nice gentle swell. 2 to 3 foot waves, but 100feet wide with a gentle climb when riding up behind them and a slightly steeper slope infront. Using a bit of kite traction and the incline infront of the wave I could ride the wave for 50 yards and oh so smooth water surface. At times I could see my reflection in the water and through my shadow I could see below the water.

Cheers

Fred

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:58 pm

Good to here the previous thread helped, thats what the Forums suppose to do.

Yeah the 6ft x 21" fish will make a big difference to bottom end.

Board width and float help alot in the lite.

My board @ 18.5" wide has very full rails and a wide tail like a fish, but with a very shallow swallow tail, and it trucks in the lite.

I know it is trendy to have a deep cut swallow tail, but you loose alot of tail area, so with the quad fin setup I would go for max tail area, cos the fins will hold you in the turns.

Footstrap position makes heaps of difference in the lite, I would put the rear strap over the forward side fin, then your usual stance from there.

This slightly more forward stance on a lite wind board makes trimming upwind on waves alot easier ( it is easier to ride waves upwind in very underpowered conditions) , and means you can dog upwind off the plan in the lulls.

The only other thing you may want to consider is riding a longboard strapless, have heard some people in the past raving about this, good option for small waves???? but if your going out into head high I would go the fish.

Have seen the naish 5ft5"fish down here, it didnt go as well as my board in the lite, the plastic twin fin with deep swallow tail and heaps of rocker works against it.

Hope this helps :thumb:

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:17 am

I think a wide board is a worthwhile experiment. I have a "good days" 6' by 18 1/8 with 2 1/2" tail rocker 5 1/4 nose and a "shit days" 6' by 19 with 1 15/16 tail rocker and 4 1/2 nose rocker (different curves and templates too but same thickness) and the difference is really noticable in light wind.

thickness width volume is a big deal that few kiters have experimented with enough to understand. (We switch boards out in the water all the time and compare opinions so testing is relevant) If you look at what has happened to windsurfers over time, you can see the future of light wind wave kiting very clearly.

michelinman
Rare Poster

Postby michelinman » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:40 am

Thanks a lot partic to Kevin and SwK.
I wonder still whether 21" is too extreme but the min I woold go would be 20".
The quad is still the way to go - it really works well and cert. custom.
I could not believe how shoddy and cheap some of the production boards are, tho not in price, comments which others have already made.
Still dithering but a couple of light summer days with the sun shining will no doubt get me running to a custom board maker.
If I go ahead will post results on the forum.

P.

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:54 am

Go 21" you could go wider, 21" isnt wide for a fish paddle surfboard these days, after all you want it to be a step up from what you have.

My wide tailed board can handle anything with the quad setup,.. but if your other board is 18.25, then 21" is probably going to be right.

Have you talked to DC about it??, cos he should be able to get the dimensions relative to your existing board.

I take it you paddle surf, so had you thought about getting this board wide enough with enough float to paddle also??? back up for no wind days when the surfs good.

Hope this helps :thumb:

michelinman
Rare Poster

Postby michelinman » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:20 pm

Hello Kevin

Yes .Did talk to Dereck about it .We started off with 5' 10" and width in the 19 to 20" region.My local surfboard shaper was showing a 21" quad fish on his website and went to have a look.Didn't look too big and he reckoned it was his best selling board last summer. He has made me a board ( another 6' x 18.25" tri fin but very surfy outline and too low volume )in the past but no kitesurfing background so not as good as D's
Another local surfboard maker made me a 6' x 19.75" tri-fin.Again no k/surfing background so OK but no more.Board did not feel that big.
Am inclined to go for 21" quad if D can sort out delivery charges here to the UK.
I don't know where others get their inspiration but as far as I'm concerned it has to be from shortboard surfing.Ironically I came to surfing late so am pretty poor and in any case longboard only. (long w/surfing background).
Appreciate your help.

P.

Return to “Kitesurfing”