Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wet-suit for swift and easy get-in and take-off?

forum for kitesurfers

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid force, Moses hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Wet-suit for swift and easy get-in and take-off?

Postby abel » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi guys,

Winter is at max and I have to replace my old wet suit, but...
I'm sick and tired feeling like a prick in a steel condom.
The water temp is 15-17 C, outside is 5-8C. Not so bad. A regular 4/3 wetsuit does the job.
I tried the new front zipper type and found that getting in and out is more annoying than the back zipper.

I'm even thinking of a long john on top of a neoprene long shirt.

Any recommendations?

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Guincho, Sylt
Style: Big air, waves
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash Global, Skater, Motion

Re: Wet-suit for swift and easy get-in and take-off?

Postby Dirk » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:29 pm

As you wrote maybe it should be a classic back zip suit. Or a front zipper where the collar is completely detached in the front, like O`Neill Mutant or Pro Limit Mercury. I have got the later in 4/3, super soft neopren, pretty easy to get in and out, easier than front zipper which only open one side. Let´s a bit more water in in that area but with your water temps that would be less of an issue.
For reducing wind chill the Pro Limit Neopren Hoodie works great. Those are available form a number of brands, either in neopren or nylon.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:43 pm

I just got a Quicksilver Syncro 4/3 chest zip, and it's lovely. Wind chill gets me but I think a cheap nylon rain jacket would solve that problem. The "new" neoprene is soft and flexible, so you don't notice the thickness.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium . Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, Sector 54

Postby matth » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:30 pm

I like Pro Motion out of Hood River. I find their suits very easy to get in and out of.

Beardytello
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Castletown - IOM
Style: Noob!
Gear: North Evo - 14m, 9m
North Gonzalez

Postby Beardytello » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:44 pm

I have two, a Billabong chest entry, which admittedly is a bit of a pain in the arse, but easier for sure than a back entry (which I literally can't get in by myself lol!)

And a long john type one with a jacket, that one is amazing to get in and out of, and it's pretty versatile, you can just wear the long johns if it's warmer, or just the jacket (with shorts.....). Dowside is it's more restrictive.

Jwoo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Mexico
Style: strapless freeride, surf
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Firewire

Postby Jwoo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:04 pm

This won't help with awkward neck or chest zippers, but if you put a plastic bag on your foot before you slide it into the wetsuit, like the bags in the grocery stores that you put fruit in, your feet will slip into the legs like butter. I use an Excel front zipper 4/3. It's pretty easy to get in and out of.

BrunoC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: OBX
Gear: various

Postby BrunoC » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:49 pm

The only suit I would describe as quick and easy is a drysuit. I bought one this winter and will never go back. Check them out; it will change your life.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium . Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, Sector 54

Postby matth » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:00 pm

BrunoC wrote:The only suit I would describe as quick and easy is a drysuit. I bought one this winter and will never go back. Check them out; it will change your life.

I'm so comfortable in my Ocean Rodeo heat its ridiculous. I wear mine anytime the temp is below 55f.

BrunoC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: OBX
Gear: various

Postby BrunoC » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:20 pm

matth wrote:
BrunoC wrote:The only suit I would describe as quick and easy is a drysuit. I bought one this winter and will never go back. Check them out; it will change your life.

I'm so comfortable in my Ocean Rodeo heat its ridiculous. I wear mine anytime the temp is below 55f.
I have the ocean rodeo Soul and about the same temp threshold. Lack of windchill is the best part.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:45 pm

I have pretty much every single wetsuit part accessory ever made and tried them all in our cold winters (I kite down to 0c, 10c I'm usually in boardies or my shorty) and I have pretty much the same recommendation for you that I give to everyone else, buy a neoprene jacket, like the Hyperflex Playa. The point of the jacket in my case is I will layer it over my 4/3 go do down to 0c but in your case I believe a hyperflex playa over a shorty or that longjohn will be perfect. It gives you the effect of somewhere around 1 or 2mm extra warmth. If you are in heavy waves it probably isn't an option to ride out there with it as water can get caught in the jacket but for everything else it's great. A lot of times you don't actually need the full wetsuit, all you need is a little extra warmth when you are on the beach, and the jacket is perfect for that, it keeps your core warm when you are just standing around.

As for the shirt I recommend against it. The problem with a neoprene shirt (at least for me) is it's difficult to layer with a shorty because you end up getting constricted so much. The jacket is loose so you can layer it with anything but the neoprene shirt is tight, so when you have a regular wetsuit on and the neoprene jacket on underneath it or over it you get too much pressure and as you know when you have bad circulation to your extremities it's worse than having the layer on at all. So I really don't like layering neoprene over neoprene, it really gets too tight and I also don't like how it wears you out fighting against the double neoprene layer.

To add to the jacket idea, you want to be able to go out in your shorty and then just add accessories, so make sure you have neoprene socks, boots, gloves, full hood, spring hood, and then you add that to your neoprene jacket you can just get into your shorty and then add additional layers and accessories as desired to warm up. Another item I have that I really like is the hyperflex "first layer" it's a layer that goes under your wetsuit so you can wear say a 2mm long suit instead of a 4/3 and with the hyperflex first layer it gives you a little bit extra warmth and it makes it much easier to get into your wetsuit because it's like you have a body sock on. If you are not riding with a hat yet, that actually is the first item you have to get. I know hats don't look cool but any kind of neoprene beanie, full hood, anything like that will add the effect of maybe an additional 1 or 2mm to your suit. Of course you don't really make it easier to go kiting when you add all these accessories, instead of heaving and tugging on a fat wetsuit you are putting on one accessory after another.

Anyway that's my general feeling about wetsuits, buy as many accessories as possible, it lets you go colder with a lighter wetsuit.

I have never used a longjohn with a neoprene shirt I have always used that shirt with a shorty, and didn't like it but maybe with a longjohn it will shine, try it see how it goes. But I would probably go with the hyperflex playa before anything, as it is the most versatile neoprene piece of clothing I have and unlike other neoprene it doesn't really wear out because the fit is so loose it doesn't rub and wear like your other neoprene does, so that playa jacket will be with you for a decade.

If you like the combination of shirt + longjohn let us know how good it is! If it works good I'm definitely adding a longjohn to my big collection of neoprene clothing, since I already have that shirt which is doing nothing for me.
Last edited by edt on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”