any other kite re-sources?
best times of year to go
worst times of year there for wind?
preferred hotels?
regions there for kiting?
etc?>?>?>?

Richie RIch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grand Cayman - I kite out the back of my beach house :)
Style: I kind of make it up as I go along!
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: So-Chlo - Island Skate and Surf Wear
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Grand Cayman Isle?

Postby Richie RIch » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:31 am

Now is the perfect time until March/April ish

We've been late on the wind this year, but it now looks like it is kicking off! Strong winds from tomorrow am to Tuesday, when it should hit 28ish knots.

Kite beach off East End is fab - friendly kiters, a long empty beach with a self-launching post and no more than 9 kites on a busy day! The reef provides more gentle waters with areas of sand bars you can stand on, or you can go beyond that for more open seas.

Barkers is also a favoured spot by some - a little more tricky to get to and a bit sharp and lumpy on the feet, but once you are out, it's a decent spot. Again, the kiters are all friendly.

The Kitehouse have the best setup on the island - chase boats, 2010 gear and world class tuition. I originally learnt with them and came back as a direct result of my experiences.

In East End, you can look at accommodation at the Reef, Morrits or Ocean Frontiers. Alternatively, there is a Kiteshack on the island which offers affordable accommodation with a wet room for gear. Give me a shout if you are interested and I can put you in touch. Alternatively, pm me for more details

Look forward to seeing you out here!

Richie

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:07 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

kitecozumel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: all Cozumel locations
Favorite Beaches: anywhere with wind and waves
Style: professional
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby kitecozumel » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:55 pm

weather and conditions are similar to Cozumel since we're relative close to each other's island.
Beautiful place and when the ocean delivers, have a good time and not crowded w/kiters yet.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:10 pm

A look at the eastern half of Grand Cayman, checkout that reef and all the flats.

Grand Cayman is a quick flight from Miami, Cayman Air has been offering some good prices too. Some more shots from the island and East End along with some of the Kite House

HERE

Vin Stefanelli
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy
Naish Shockwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:04 am

hey flying weasle
do you mean rent a car?
or hire a driver?
will any old car do
or is there reason to get a 4X4 jeep
do they have Hertz?
are auto rentals way expensive?
Rockstar soda? is it there?
i have learnt that folks will be driving around on the
British sides of the roads...
does one need to get an endorsement at the
Cayman DMV?
and that there is a landing fee or tourist tax?
how much?

also a 10% tax on hotel stays?
the Reef Resort looks like a good one.

they say the exchange rate is fixed @ 1 cayman
dollar to 1.25 usd so its stuck there?

no british pounds?

I read that booze is super pricey
is THAT so?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:03 am

Rent a car, you will miss a lot without one. Also, if you're kiting you will likely want mobility to hit Barkers in the NW, East End to the east and Rum Point to the NE depending on wind and other considerations. Plus it is a good island to drive around to see sights, grab lunch, dinner, etc.. There is a map of some spots I put together sometime back at: http://tinyurl.com/y883bor Just make sure your mind is well programmed for driving on the left side of the road. Round abouts are some of the trickier things for USA drivers to get used to. You can find some rentals on Expedia.com, just make sure they are open when your flight arrives. There are local companies too, usually at competitive rates with what you might find online. Don't recall anything other than having to show a valid US drivers license.

Or, you can take a just hang out at Compass Point for most of the time. Mike will take you out by boat to some areas you may not want to kite to. Plus they have a new operation near Rum Point you can probably get a ride to from shore. Say out to the reef for some waves.

As to all the misc. charges, you've got me. Whatever it is, not excessive as I recall it, Cayman is worth it in my opinion. You might find answers to that stuff on google.com.

Vin Stefanelli
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy
Naish Shockwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:21 am

compass point looks nice for kiting
and snorkling and diving and kayak but potentially
stifling as a hotel..
there is apparently no restaraunt there
or bar or smoking allowed on their property.
how about their immediate neighbors?
any eateries or public beach clubs within walking distance?

Richie RIch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grand Cayman - I kite out the back of my beach house :)
Style: I kind of make it up as I go along!
Brand Affiliation: So-Chlo - Island Skate and Surf Wear

Postby Richie RIch » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:29 am

Yes, rent a car. Andy's car rentals are at the airport and probably easiest for you. From 29 CI a day. Drive on the left and speeds are MPH, not kilometers. Top speeds are 50MPH and many of the roads are 30mph or 25mph, so just rent something that will hold you, your suitcase and kites! You will get a tourist license with your car rental, so don't worry about that. Don't pass a school bus when it is parked with the stop sign showing, from any direction

No need for 4x4 in East End - the entrance to kitebeach is sandy, but my '86 Toyota hilux pickup truck manages the 10 metres just fine. You can park on the side of the road there and carry your gear if you are worried about getting stuck. Alternatively, the Kitehouse can provide a water taxi service from Kaibo yacht club or Ocean frontiers

The CI is fixed to the US dollar at 1.25 US to the CI - no fluctuation. You can pay with US, but shops will give you a slightly lower rate of 1.20. Tell your bank you are coming here to ensure your cards will work in the ATM machines. No Pounds sterling, but you could change traveler cheques in Georgetown.

We have energy drinks on Island! - Jaegermeister and redbull go down very well.

Any taxes should be included in your flight cost - I have never paid any additional tax on landing. Have a look at the conditions of your chosen airline, I'm sure they will be included. You need to fill in a landing card which you need to present to immigration on your way out - try not to loose it during your stay!

Rum is very reasonable, (the Tortuga Rum Company brew on island), a case of 24 Corona from the liquor store is around 40 CI, The local stuff, (Caybrew) is cheaper and you get 2 CI back for your empties, too. You can also go in for free pints of beer while you deliver your empties and collect a full case 20 marlboro lights between 3.50 and 5 CI, depending where you buy from.

Yes there is an accomodation tax - used to be 8%, may well have recently risen to 10%. Taxes will be advertised by each place with their price list. There are places to rent from 80 CI a night

Shops are shut on sunday, but petrol stations are open.

If you want a kiting holiday, this is worth it.

Richie

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:09 am

Last edited by flyingweasel on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”