Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Ideas?

Postby RickI » Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:53 am

Copyright FKA 2003

Here is the latest of a series of kiteboarding safety images. It needs a caption though, something to do with kite leashes and distance too if you like. Once the animals get into this things are going to get really crowded.

So, looking for ideas, what do you think?
Last edited by RickI on Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:58 am

Here is a smaller version that may be easier to view on most displays:

Pablo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Pablo » Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:14 am

sorry, but I dont like the idea of the animals.
in my opinion people'll think theyre too childish.
even more, ths temptates me not to use leash.
I thnik the best way is just to describe with full details all the accidents that may have been avoided if acted in a safe way (using leash, helmet, etc)
just my opinion

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:36 am

You may be right about animals. There should be several without any animals in the future but I had a couple of unusual animal images so they kicked things off. Some of the most successful ad campaigns in the USA use animals however so who knows. The AFLAC duck, Blockbuster guinea pig, the Quatis bear, even Charlie the Tuna, dozens of examples of effective animals in promotions. I am not in advertising at any rate and this is an experiment.

As to telling people about incidents, accidents and ideas about how to avoid it, been doing that in overdrive for quite a while. The effectiveness has been limited however based on common practices at local launches. So this is an effort to try something different.
Last edited by RickI on Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby robertovillate » Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:38 am

I think the lass in the yellow bikini works quite well :!: :o

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:18 am

"Kiteboard safety is a joke"
or
"Kiteboard safety doesn't need much thought applied to it"

If this the message you want to portray feel free to use these captions.

or
How about this...
"Look here - we've got tits and animals"

I have learnt most about safety by reading the accident archives and thinking "I don't want that kind of thing to spoil my day".

If you want an image to portray the dangers associated with kitesurfing (presumably to those that don't know any better) then how about one that directly links the sport with danger and not the cute, funny or marketable.

Basically safety comes down to respecting yourself and others on the beach. How do you appeal to those with no respect? Usually they have to learn the hard way. That can be by accident or by humiliation with peer pressure.

Personally, I think Darwinism works best.

Editboy
Rare Poster

Postby Editboy » Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:21 am

I watched that damn dog on Coche chase up and down trying to bite Paul's ass, now a bloody Raccoon is launching upwind of him. I don't care if the critter has got a leash, it porves that the animal kindom is definitely after Mr. Mentha…

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:36 am

Editboy wrote:I watched that damn dog on Coche chase up and down trying to bite Paul's ass, now a bloody Raccoon is launching upwind of him. I don't care if the critter has got a leash, it porves that the animal kindom is definitely after Mr. Mentha…
Hey Paul probably cooked the racoons cousin during his past life as a gourmet chief. As they say what goes around, comes around. At least the racoon (ring tailed lemur actually!), doesn't have a cleaver.

I agree, nothing separates the survivors from the non-starters like Darwinian Natural Selection. The problem is that in spectating on this process, society (regulatory authorities) won't stomach the selection of canidates very well. They will likely step in "for our own good."

So cute animals don't do it. Too bad and all those hundreds of millions of dollars on past ad campaigns, ouch! I think that appealing to a person's sense of reason and desire for preservation both for himself and his freedom to pursue a sport as great as kiteboarding would govern too. It works for me and apparently for some of you folks as well.

I have come to the conclusion that many people won't act to preserve themselves or our access, until "they see the bodies." That is until they are sufficiently impressed by actual casualties and won't seriously considering taking reasonable precautions until the pile of injuries and seroius incidents is high enough. A sad commentary on human nature but things seem to support that conclusion. So what is wrong with a bit of satirical humor along the way, through animals in this case?
Last edited by RickI on Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:23 am

Lemur :advise:

Look it up :duh:

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:08 am

How about - " If you Cant Spot the Difference - You shouldnt behave like a monkey".

Or

"No prizes for guessing the missing link in this shot"

R.

Return to “Kitesurfing”