Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

So much fuss about noisy kites... (specially Skoop2)

forum for kitesurfers

Brenho
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

So much fuss about noisy kites... (specially Skoop2)

Postby Brenho » Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:44 am

Can anyone tell why? Is it because of the sound being anoying? Material degradation (how fast...)? Has anyone noticed any performance issues?
I am getting some skoop2 and am very worried about this issue. I read it is affecting most of kite brands, but there is alot of discussion about Skoop2 problem... Is it a reason for not to buy a kite or reclain a new one if mine have this problem?

Thanx on any input.

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:21 am

If your kite is farting you have it trimmed wrong - set your lines so you ride powered up and you won't have a problem - this is a user / not product issue.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:01 am

Anonymous wrote:If your kite is farting you have it trimmed wrong - set your lines so you ride powered up and you won't have a problem - this is a user / not product issue.
No, it is not a user problem !

Especially not because today you want to ride your kite almost fully depowered, in order to get max jumping height.

And when turning the kite, you often need to depower fully, to accelerate, or during tricks where you loop the kite.

Also in very light wind, you have to depower, to accelerate the kite when turning.

And it is only when turning the kite, the humm appears (on many kites/brands).

It is not a disclaimer reason, thats for sure !
Only if the kite falls apart very fast, because of this.

But we've seen the Rhino2 being used a lot here, since fall 2002 till now - and there are no signs of wear, despite the loud humming sound when turned.

I wont start another discussion about this - just say that it is not a user problem (only in your mind...)

We dont care at all - but if you do, it is no good for you of course.

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:35 am

Depower to turn the kite???
Sorry... not his little black duck..what a strang notion

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:03 am

I mostly depower the Rhino2 20 to turn it, since it will be a lot faster to turn.

Try it.

Greets
Toby

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:06 am

Anonymous wrote:Depower to turn the kite???
Sorry... not his little black duck..what a strang notion
It's a riding style that comes from the type of kite being used. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just different from my kites, and the way they ride.

fakade
Medium Poster

Postby fakade » Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:05 pm

So: no problems = good news!
About the depowering technique, i agree with Frank, Toby and Dwight: Let it go (depower) when ever it is possible:
- When preparing to jump, by letting it depowered, you have it with more inertia to pull you up to the sky
- When in low winds, you gain kite speed and consequent apparent wind
I am at "intermediate" level, but i feel this is the way to go...
I see no fluter questions in 2002 kites. I guess it must have to do with design improvements that are not being followed by construction precision as required. Or the improvements that are being made in the depower area are not being taken into account in the turning issues...
Anyone knows if any brand is revising any issues ex: Skoop2 or Rhino2(the real question is: buy now or wait for next shipment? :roll: )

kitepimp
Medium Poster

Postby kitepimp » Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:11 am

I have been riding a quiver of R2's for 4-5 months and have never heard this fluttering or so called farting noise. I think it must have something to do with how you set up your lines and depower system.

As for the feedback on depoewering when turning, I don't know that this a a good rule, but it is a valid tecnique depending on the type of turn you are excuting. But it doesnt matter if I turn fully powred with a set edge to put up a wall of water or depower and pull a sissy switch, I don't hear farting either way. If you do, get bust tuning!

kp

Sylt Rider
Medium Poster

Postby Sylt Rider » Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:52 am

8)

About the noise on fast turning Skoops II I would like to point out again that a good friend of mine has two of them. :)
Neither the big one 17' nor the even faster 11,5 makes any noise at all. Not on slow or on fast turns, not in the main loop with power or in the chiken loop full depowered, not in much wind or littlte wind.

So not at all. :thumb:
They were delivered March 27th.

:bye: Sylt Rider

kGreg
Medium Poster

Postby kGreg » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:39 am

@Brenho

I have also been worried when reading these topics, but finally yesterday I have been able to test the kite, and it exceeded my expectations. I am very happy with my Skoops, so don't worry.

Some people mention lower power. I think that could be due to the fact that they have been riding the Skoop1 with longer lines and a longer bar.

Regards,
kGreg

Return to “Kitesurfing”