Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

it's your duty as a kiter...

forum for kitesurfers

it's your duty as a kiter...

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:01 pm

and a human being to see to that you don't hurt other people.

so why the f--k do some people ride and expect other people to get out of their way????
if someone is in your way you have to go around not ride directly at him and hope he gets out of the way.

situation:
tarifa. 15-20m from the beach. guy passes me from behind jumps, transition, lands an comes right back at me!!!! i'm downwind as you figured out.
the whole time i stood still with the kite at around 10 to avoid lofting(even if it was very unlikely to happen at the time, still always do it, as you should, your duty).
well so the guy comes my way. is tand there like what the fuck, he landed 20m from me and i'm thinking you can't ride behind me cause then you're gonna hook into my kite and you can't ride in front of me cuz then you'l hook into mykite or ride up the beach. so i wink at him(this all happened very fast) like where are you going man? and then he comes in like 2m from the beach and i have to swing my kite up to avoid our lines get tangled and i get a good pull from the kite.

nothing happened but that was because of my skill, a beginner in my situation and panic could have made a mess out of it.

well, maybe, maybe our lines wouldn't have tangled but then it would have been close, very close.

so ride and have fun, but ride with respect to your fellow kiters and other people and others safety always comes before your own.

and when i screamed at the guy he didn't even look back.
maybe he didn't hear cuz the wind was blowing the other direction or just didn't noticed what happened at all.
either way- scary.

a lot of people don't keep the dstance.

KEEP THE DISTANCE!

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:24 pm

are you aware that there are certain rights of way?

in theory, if that guy has the right of way, it's his duty to keep his course, while you ought to get out of his way.

...but there are certain dudes who seem to own the whole beach.
better not ride too close to them.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:49 pm

I may be wrong about this but as far as I can remember someone coming back in has right of way over someone starting off from the beach, and I also seem to remember something about who is upwind has right of way over who is downwind because if you're downwind you can go less upwind easier and stay out of the other's way, wheras if you're upwind going further upwind might not be an option.
Can't for the life of me remember port7starboard right of way.
Anyway I've never been able to learn the rights of way properly, I seem to have a mental block about it (one of many) and I think they're are several more mumbskulls like me out there. I normally try to launch, kite and land away from other people and I just try to stay out of everyone's way.
If I'm heading towards someone or they're heading for me or our paths will cross in any way, i'll just turn around and kite away. I'm definately not inot playing chicken with traction kites, even if I'm right and have right of way how long should I wait for the other dude to chicken out and change course?

Murdoc are you sure someone navigating can have right of way over someone who's stationary, that sounds pretty daft. I seem to remember if you're starting off from shore you have to give way to people coming in but if you're not moving how the fuck can you do that??

Can anyone post the full navigation rights of way blurb so I can try learning them again, and maybe remembering them this time, fat chance..

windjunkie
Medium Poster

Postby windjunkie » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:10 am

First to clarify there is no "right of way". The terms are stand on and give way. As to imply that both parties have responsibility to avoid a collision.

According to the international and inland rules for sailing vessels, in an overtaking situation, the overtaken or downwind vessel is stand on. The upwind or overtaking vessel is give way. In crossing situations, the vessel with the wind on it's starboard side is give way.

Sounds like the alleged reckless kiter was in the give way position in both directions. But, again both parties are responsible to avoid collision.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:20 am

Here are some generalities that I am told apply in the American legal system. There is a good chance that something similar or equally undesirable may lurk in the legal system where you live.

You are personally liable for the injury and damage that you inflict on others. That is cost of medical treatments, loss of income, pain and suffering, potentially legal costs for both parties, etc. There is also a good chance in the USA that you may not have insurance to cover you in such instances. Some homeowner policies may cover this but many may not.

So, as a reward for lack of knowledge, overconfidence, indifference or an acute attack of "kiteboarder attitude" that results in injury to others you may have a major legal ordeal to go through AND a major economic hit that could cost you a devistating amount. that could clean you out or take a major bite out of your resources. Add to this the guilt of harming others which may actually sink in after the smoke has cleared.

The days of "I didn't know" are gone, indifference to the safety of others will slam home in terms of complaints, lost access and some notable legal settlements in time for some unlucky, careless kiteboarders. One guy has gone to jail and there may be at least two lawsuits underway at present and NOT in the USA over incidents involving bystanders.

IF YOU USE DISTANCE you will reduce the odds of such a calamity substantially. If you want to ride close in and show off you may be tossing your assets and peace of mind to the four winds. Not worth it. What about drag racing down the street where you live, is that OK? If not, why not? More about this from an actual attorney at:

http://kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1688

Time to get serious guys. Shred hard and go nuts, far AWAY from bystanders and USE A KITE LEASH.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:20 am

windjunkie wrote:First to clarify there is no "right of way". The terms are stand on and give way. As to imply that both parties have responsibility to avoid a collision.

According to the international and inland rules for sailing vessels, in an overtaking situation, the overtaken or downwind vessel is stand on. The upwind or overtaking vessel is give way. In crossing situations, the vessel with the wind on it's starboard side is give way.

Sounds like the alleged reckless kiter was in the give way position in both directions. But, again both parties are responsible to avoid collision.
Thanks, so if I get that right, If i'm crossing course with someone if I have the wind on my starboard (right) side i have to give way.
If I'm overtaking someone upwind I have to give way, ok, but I think it's also very important not to overtake someone downwind right, because they probably won't have seen you and if they pop a jump or jibe it's gonna be nasty right?

windjunkie
Medium Poster

Postby windjunkie » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:49 am

My apologies. I reread my response and noticed I made a major error. In the crossing situation, the vessel with the wind on its starboard side is stand on.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:57 am

Ok, so if I'm crossing courses with someone, anyone kiter, windsurfer, catamaran, and I have the wind on my port (left) side, i have to give way

Ari Raptis
Medium Poster

Postby Ari Raptis » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:20 am

Forget all this crap about who has right of fucking way !!

It is your duty to avoid collisions or problems !!

keep your distance from other beach and water users.

Use COMMON SENSE for Christs sake !!

If you are forcing (what you believe) to be right of way,and the other person either does not know whats going on ,or has a different idea about the situation,you are headed for trouble!!

Don't forget that the overiding rule of the sea is :ALWAYS try to avoid a collision !

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:24 am

Thanks Ari, good to see ya on the forum mate.
I agree with avoiding collision at all costs like I said and I'll definately get outta the way of idiots or beginners or anyone for that matter but I still would like to know what I shouldn't be doing, like starting off when someone else is coming in for example, know what I mean?

PS: you learnt to walk on water yet? :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”