Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

@Peter Frank & other Skoop2 users: 17 + 11.5 combo OK?

forum for kitesurfers

Wolfgang
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Germany, flying GK Sonic 11+8, riding F-One Sk8 35 / Trax 39, Spleene Door 42

@Peter Frank & other Skoop2 users: 17 + 11.5 combo OK?

Postby Wolfgang » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:14 pm

Is there an overlap between Skoop2 17 + 11.5? Any idea or experience about comparison to GXR 16.5 + 12 combo?

Wolfgang :thumb:

Brenho
Medium Poster

Postby Brenho » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:57 pm

I asked myself the same question for the past few weeks... I went for the skoops2 just because of gaastra being not so well quoted in the current kite market. My feeling is that the gaastra are as good as skoop2 or even better!
I would put support from the importers in your equation with a good weight on your final decision...

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:03 pm

I've used those kites and think either of those combos would work, with the skoop2 11.5/17 there won't be much overlap in wind range, but not really a gap. ie when you are getting overpowered on the 17 you will be ok to go on the 11.5 but not fully powered. So it is a good way to cover a large range with 2 kites. The gaastra 12 / 16.5 would have a little more overlap in ranges because they are closer in size. That being said if you do get alot of winds in the 17-22 knot rnage having the 14 is really nice because that is the prefect size for those winds. In that wind the 17 is a little big in the gusts (but still managable) and the 11.5 is a little small

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:52 pm

no problem,
The high end of the 17m skoop2 is approximatively for me (75Kg) 18-20knots and I start the 11.5 at 12knots, no problem, I land the 11.5 with 25-27knots. These two kites are really complement.
Nicc

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:43 pm

niccc wrote:no problem,
The high end of the 17m skoop2 is approximatively for me (75Kg) 18-20knots and I start the 11.5 at 12knots, no problem, I land the 11.5 with 25-27knots. These two kites are really complement.
Nicc
I would not say the kites overlap much, really.

But it would be fine to have these two only, if you had to - many here was thinking the same after having flown the different sizes !

20 knots is the high end for the 17 for me I think.
Ideal wind is 15 knots for the 17.

Ideal wind for the 11.5 is about 23 knots for me.
Upper about 28 I think.
Lower is difficult, because you can always get planing with the 11.5 - but I dont find it good untill 19 knots with the 11.5

We are talking average wind here, 7 meter height, 72kg kiter, small board....

So as you can see - the sweet spots just barely touch each other.

This means the kites overlap somewhat, and you can cover the full windrange, no doubt.

The "standard" problem is, that the 14.5 is by far the best size of all sizes - that you want to use the most (more lively than the 17, and more powered than your 11.5 often...)

So you could also go for the 14.5 and 11.5 in fact.
Many does that too here.
Or choose the 17 and 11.5 now - and if you win in the lottery one day, get the "Famous" 14.5 size !

I think the Takoon / Gaastra combo's are very alike, with differences in the kites though.

Takoon is very direct and responsive, Gaastra is more soft.
Takoon has better upper end, Gaastra slightly better low end handling.

You could say, that the Skoop has a bit of the "Airblast" inside, and the GXR has a bit of the "Rhino" inside - but only a fraction.

Meaning:
GXR superb low end qualities, but impossible to hold when getting too powered or too much speed.
And the Skoop2 the opposite - not as good smooth low end, but handles speed and depower better.

Its your choice - both will work, but a bit different.

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:53 pm

Another good option would be the 17 skoop2 and the 12 wook since it seems to me that the wooks have a bit more low end for their size than the skoops..this would give you a bit more overlap and with a wook in smaller size it will handle a little more like a bigger kite since it is a little less sensitive than the skoop.

For a higher wind 2 kite quiver or for a lighter person the 14.5 skoop2 and the 9.5 wook would work really well together.

-Peter

Wolfgang
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Germany, flying GK Sonic 11+8, riding F-One Sk8 35 / Trax 39, Spleene Door 42

Postby Wolfgang » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:44 pm

Thanks Peter, thanks folks! I appreciate your comments about the Skoop2 17 and 11.5 combo and the differentiation from the GXR! :D

I currently fly a GXR 16.5 and 12 which work fine as a combo. There is quite a comfortable overlap but of course the combo leaves some weaknesses in low end and high end conditions. Maybe next time I would go for something like 19.5 - 14 - 10, or if 2004 kites will have even more depower capacities I would prefer to stay with a 2 kite combo for easier decision making... ;-) I thought Skoop2 17 and 11.5 might already be such a combo but apparently the overlap should be a bit more comfortable...

Wolfgang :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”