Beginner advice please

Forum for kitesurfers
Tracy
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Beginner advice please

Postby Tracy » Sat May 24, 2003 7:07 pm

I've just started to learn to kitesurf so was really interested in the "Kites to steer clear of" post. I think its really useful to let us newbie's know what equipment is right for us. I am really dubious of buying a kite and wouldn't even think about going without someone who knows what they are talking about.

Plus - being a girl kiter I've found that some kiteshops i have visited don't even give me the time of day and when i ask for advice they look at me like i'm some sort of alien and that i don't know wht i'm talking about - so i tend not to get the best advice - so thanks for the helpful post!

I've been learning on the Peter Lyn Arc which a great kite and loads of fun to fly and i would be really grateful if someone could give me some advice as to what size kites are suitable for light winds and strong winds.

One more thing - the Cabrinha seems like a really sturdy popular kite down in Cornwall - can anyone give me an idea on what it's actually like to fly?

:bye:

fulmar
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby fulmar » Sat May 24, 2003 11:38 pm

Go for a single day lesson at somewhere like Airjam at Newkey or Watergate Bay and have a go with an inflatable kite, they will take you seriously and you can ask all the questions you like.

They will help you to get the correct size kite for your size, weight , ability.

Your first few runs would be on big directional; and you don’t want to waist cash buying one. Pay for a lesson get all the safety stuff sorted and use the opportunity to fly other people’s kites.

Watergate have female instructors (if you want one) so you dont need to feel out of place.

Return to “Kitesurfing”