beginner question: how windy for 16.0

forum for kitesurfers

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

beginner question: how windy for 16.0

Postby Eduardo » Mon May 05, 2003 2:46 pm

I have a north rhino 16.0 and heard this was right for 10-15.
I've been out 5 times now all together in mostly 10-15 but
always feel underpowered. I see other guys dive the kite to
start and then hold it at about 45 degrees. When I try this I lose
power & sink (I'm on a twin tip). My longest ride to date is about
10 seconds... I try sining the kite but am usually sunk before
I can turn the kite back up.

Should I be going out in more wind?

How would I know if I'm overpowered?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Ed

kootsie
Medium Poster

Postby kootsie » Mon May 05, 2003 3:49 pm

did u try diving it more agresive?

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon May 05, 2003 3:49 pm

Depends what you weigh ED, I weigh 75-80 kgs and 10-15 would be fine on that kite.
Definately not underpowered in 15

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Eduardo » Mon May 05, 2003 8:23 pm

i'm about 70 kg.

i have tried very aggressive dives starting from the other side. they definitely get me up off my feet - and sometimes launched - but it just doesn't seem to last. i was thinking either it wasn't enough wind or i'm doing something wrong with the kite or board just as i'm getting started.

would i be ok on this kite in 15-20 too, especially if i keep the c-loop line
a bit in?

Ed

kootsie
Medium Poster

Postby kootsie » Mon May 05, 2003 9:04 pm

think u should keep on trying because it looks like a typical feeling issue.

try this go down with the kite and while getting up steer the kite up (fast) also (not too much (this is the feeling part) but fast)

Helped for me.

How is the setting of your depower?

Let somebody about your weight and with more expertise try your kite. Then u are sure it's your technic :roll:

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon May 05, 2003 11:08 pm

Are you talking in knots!?

If you do, with 70kg you should feel VERY overpowered in 20 knots with the 16m rhino

bandito
Rare Poster

Postby bandito » Tue May 06, 2003 1:42 am

i see alot of newbies sine the kite and expect to just be off and riding. well, this works if you know what you're doing, but when first learning you should keep your board flat and go off the wind a little to bluild up some speed. once you have some speed start to edge and play with the edge pressure. if you have to sine the kite all the time remember to edge on the down stroke and flatten the board out a little on the upstroke. a little practice and you'll be ripping in the light wind.
enjoy

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Eduardo » Tue May 06, 2003 3:53 am

ok - consensus is i need to work on technique vs. find more wind.

thanks,
Ed

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue May 06, 2003 7:47 am

Hi Ed,
Yep more practice but not more wind. In 10-12 knots you'll have to dive the kite quite agressively down through the centre of the window to get going and don't try turning upwind until you're planing well especially until after the first up stroke.
In 12-15 knots DON'T dive the kite aagressively or it'll just drag you off the board, a shallow sine high up is better, really you just need to nudge the kite down into the window and towards the edge and you're allready going.
About getting on the board some people swear by trying it behind a boat but I never did.
Imo the best way to get the feeling of getting up is not to get up at all really at first. Sit in the water with your board on your feet and your legs bent so the board is under your bum, dive the kite a little, if this isn't enough try a deeper dive. Don't straighten your legs and the kite will just pull you out of the water sitting on the board really easy and you'll be going downwind sitting on the board, straighten your legs to stand up and turn the board slightly upwind, smile because you're kiting, then fall of, this is a very important part and something of a tradition for all of us here on the first run :wink:
When you've done this a few times you'll get the feeling of starting pushing out with your front foot to start the board off downwind then carving the board upwind as you pick up speed.
At 70 kgs I wouldn't try the 16m Rhino in anything more than 15 knots until you get the hang of it if I were you.
When flying the kite don't pull too much on the bar because the power is transmitted much better to your body through the harness and the kite'l fly better, just use the bar to steer powering up just a little. Powering up too much will kill the airspeed and power of the kite in flight, depowering a little will help it on the up stroke.
Have fun and let us know how you get on.
Jo

Return to “Kitesurfing”