Dano the Great! wrote:
I hear you guys, but your missing my point a bit. What bothers me is BestÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s approach to marketing (hyping) & selling (undercutting). Yes, this is my issue & I must deal with it.
So why is Best just about the only kite company that chooses to use sex (women) to sell their kites??
Forum is quite tolerant of (to paraphrase stoner) "polarized views"... polarity is a great way to understand different perspectives and view points... but the caveat is it has to "add value"... that means either facts, insights, provocative, or humor... your problem is you continue to fail any of these modest hurdles... the problem is you don't have a point...
I believe that you are sincere in how you feel... but you clearly misunderstand how a successful society functions... it's a relative value system... not absolute...
1) Why is "hyping" bad? Because it may mislead a customer into buying something that he will be unhappy with. That's the obvious part.
2) What is not obvious to you is the concept of "gross" versus "net". Ideological people look at "gross"... successful society is based on "net net."
A few examples: gun rights, speech rights, patent rights, profits rights... all these can be abused, but we believe on a net basis, more good comes from protecting such rights (but clearly a debate exist on magnitude of e.g. guns, etc.).
3) Understand the concept of "gross" versus "net". No one "gross hypes" more than Best. But on a "net" basis, Best (and WW) have the least hyped marketing due to the contractual 100% satisfaction guarantee. In our society, a contractual guarantee is infinitely more valuable than a "promise."
4) So let's assume the big brands "hype" less on a gross basis... but no one will deny that they still hype big time... and that they all have a history of bad products at times... but without a contractual refund policy, the customer is more at risk of paying for an unsatisfactory product... therefore, it should be obvious big brands hype infinitely more on a "net net" basis.
5) So until you can demonstrate how the big brands protect the customer from "unhappy purchases" better than Best... it's ideologically dishonest to claim Best as be the biggest threat to kite "clients".
6) Sure you can always say Best can do better on an absolute basis from "your perspective and value system." But on a net net relative basis, you will find that at this point, Best is the most consumer friendly kiteboarding company with its low price leadership and its money back guarantee. The great thing is... you don't even need to buy Best to benefit from Best's price leadership!
PS... no kite company has a more blatant lewd sex compaign than Jimmy Lewis. Start with that first. Also, keep in mind that if you find Best offensive... don't visit Europe... things are much more "sexed" there...