Local Beach: Imperial Beach, CA
Style: Wave and trick mix
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bow kite size vs traditional C kite size

Postby jeffro » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:33 am

How do you compare?

For example: A 12M Bow 'should' be more powerful than a 12M C kite due to more effective area.

What is the approximate formula?

I remember reading the Cabrinha article on Bows when they were first pushed out, and they said Bows have effective areas of ~80% vs the ~50% of C Kites.

With that the case, this is approximately 60% more area. So another example is:

A 16M Bow should have the equivalent power of a 25M C kite but with the obvious depower advantages over the C.

Also, how much do these things effectively depower? (I know some say 100% which is not truly possible). Otherwise I could have a 16M up int 50 knots with no problems.

What are the usable top ends of some of these different sizes? As you all probably know, depowering a C kite means crappy kite performance. Does the performance also dwindle with the bows as they are depowered? I assume it does, but not as bad.

jatkinson
Frequent Poster

Postby jatkinson » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:44 am

I would say that the xbow 16 compares to a 18 or 19 traditional kite but has the high end of a 12.

The 12 would cover the range of a 9-14 traditional kite.

I don't really know how to answer the how much do they really depower question. I think that if you are in conditions that you couldn't hold down a traditional 9m kite you could probably still hang onto a 12 bow (although you would be close to the limit). Does that answer your question?

If you are thinking of switching to bows you can usually skip a size (I am speaking of xbows because that is what I am familliar with). You can get away with a 16 & 9 or 12 & 7 if you want to.

Cheers,
JJ

nab1000
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 757, 252
Style: Wake
Gear: LF HiFi's, Influence 138, LF Cabs
Brand Affiliation: Wave Riding Vehicle Surfboards

Postby nab1000 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:45 am

Formula most of us are using to buy these kites is 2 kite sizes up and down. :thumb: Dont know about the full depower qeustion.

jeffro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Imperial Beach, CA
Style: Wave and trick mix

Postby jeffro » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:58 am

Those answers are good enough. I'd rather know the real-world dynamics. The only other thing is to 'try' and get used to riding back in the chicken loop again. I've been riding hardline (with trim strap) since 1999...well since the beginning.

Probably going to wait until 2nd gen Bows come out before I jump on them.

dewey
Frequent Poster

Postby dewey » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:49 am

This is the problem I'm having. I read about the halo and they don't seem to have as much of a topend. I just went ahead and ordered a 9m and 12m rapture2. I'm hoping it will give me the same windrange as a 10m and 14m quiver.

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:02 am

When optimally powered up:

CB 9 is like an 11 m C-kite
CB 12 is like a 14-15m C-kite
CB 16 is like a 19-20 m C-kite

Approximately.

Regards,
James

Nick-san
Frequent Poster

Postby Nick-san » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:54 am

Depends on the bow. They are very different. For example, the top end of the Swichblade 5m is lower than of a Xbow 7m.

Dewey, interested about your comment. I've got a Halo 7m, and I have yet to be overpowered on it. The winds we get here over winter and stronger than most people will ever experience, and this is the first year I've been able to ride in our very dense 35+ knot winds. I've been out in 39knots, and although this is insanely windy, I was certainly not loosing an edge or side slipping. Considering that the low end is certainly better than the Xbow 7m, I would say that it has the largest range of the bows I've tried. Don't know about the other sizes.

The small Xbow excels in very strong and gusty winds, but isn't great when the winds drops off. The Xbow 9m seems to work in the same useable high end range as the 7m that most people will experience (ie. around 30 knots)

MissingLink
Rare Poster

Postby MissingLink » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:26 pm

Nick-san, am interested in the halo 7 but have been concerned about its topend as it seems to be more powerful than other 7 bows and we also have strong, gusty cool winds - I have been concerned that the topend of the halo 7 will not be as good as say a xbow or shockwave - you seem to think that it handles strong winds as well as any 7 bow - am I correct in this assumption

meteo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach, pointe du lac, Québec, canada
Sunset Beach, tarpon springs, Florida
Style: old school, Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone and Flysurfer

Postby meteo » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:27 pm

I can answer your question about 100% depower....

I have a Crossbow 16 since septembre 2005... and have more than 40 outings and 98 hours on it.

I have flown it in winds in excess of 30 knots... and as low as 5 knots on skis...

the 100 % depower is available up until about 25 knots. Let me explain...

lets say the wind is 10 knots then you will notice that at full power settings the bar will lose all it's pressure at about 10 inches from the chicken loop, and the kite will fall out of the sky. When the wind speed increases, then the 100 % depower is further up the chicken loop line. At about 20 knots you hit the top of the chicken loop line, but you still have depower the strap that gives you about 3 inches or an equivalent of 3 knots and then there is the attach settings on your rear lines that give you about 2 inches or another 2 knots...

once you have used all your chicken loop line then when you let go of the bar, you still feel a slight pressure on the bar and the kite does not fall from the sky... Then you have reach your maximum 100 % depower. This happens around 25-28 knots. But our local champ has ridden a crossbow 16m in 32 knots and was jumpping like crazy... But I would not recommend it.

Nick-san
Frequent Poster

Postby Nick-san » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:25 am

MissingLink, the Halo certainly has a lot of power. More than a Xbow 7m. But if you stay in the loop in strong winds, you won't feel it at the kite. The Halo 7m turns a lot more like a regular C kite, and doesn't take any time to get used to. But because of this you feel more power in the turns, unlike the Xbow which spins on the center strut. The Xbow can be thrown around more heavily in high winds without too much power being generated. If you want a kite only for very strong winds the Xbow might be the kite for you. If you want a kite that feels and has the jump timing of a regular C kite, and has a good low end as well, then the Halo 7m is the way to go. I can go from the Halo 7 to my C kite 12m, which is a good range.

Bottom line is that you won't ever be overpowered on either of these kites.

Return to “Kitesurfing”