Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

SS 15 - SS 17 - 2005 or 2004 - or even SS Machine 17??

Forum for kitesurfers
golebiow
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SS 15 - SS 17 - 2005 or 2004 - or even SS Machine 17??

Postby golebiow » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:05 pm

Hi!

I have been kiting for a couple of months and now want to buy a new, bigger kite. After spending some time reading reviews, I'm CONFUSED!

First I have some questions: Can I use an old SS bar (2002) with the one-line kit for the 04/05 kites? Or do I need a new bar from 2005? And will this new bar with the one-line kit work for other kites, like rhino? Or do I need the Scepter bar to fly Rhino?

The point is that I'm choosing between SS 15 or 17, either 2004 or 2005 or the Machine 17,5. I have an old SS bar from 2002, that's why I ask the questions above. MONEY IS AN issue for me. I understand of course that the 2005 kites are better then the 04, but are they worth the money? I have heard the one-line system offers a lot of depower, so I would like to buy this. But will the depower-possibilites be the same for 04 - 05 and machine? I have heard a lot good stuff about the Machine 17, but what is worse with this kite compared to Fuel 17. There has to be some downsides?? And another thing: Will the 17 m2 Fuel be a good size for me, or is 15 m2 better. Some tell me that they think I will enjoy a 15m2 more, others say there is a lot of depower on the 17 so I can buy that one. Will a 17 allow me to kite in lower winds?

I weigh 72 kg, and I'm looking for a kite for small winds, which I also can use when the wind increases... So: What too choose??

Thanks A LOT for helping me!

Andrzej

sir slingshot
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sir slingshot » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:07 am

go with the 17 and 5th line kit it has alot of pull and a very very fun kite since $ is an issue
the machine is SICK! but the 17 is cheaper and still sweet

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:11 am

Ok....I would say.....because of the money get a SS 17 04 and spend some extra on the one line......2002 SS bar is ok for one line but you need to buy a new chicken loop

But if you can spend some extra......get the Machine 17,5 it has a huge wind range, very nice kite to fly, super stable on gusty winds, oneline plus depower increases the wind range of the kite a lot.....
I am also 72 kg and with my SS Sx 132 have been able to kite over 20+ knots, this kite dosent know the word " Overpowered "

I used to have the SS17/04 if you get one .....try to get also a 60 cm bar it will help on the turning speed.....

PhysioRol
Medium Poster

Postby PhysioRol » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:02 am

I think you will be much happier with the machine over the fuel 17. The length of your O2 bar might be an issue. The machine uses a 23 inch bar.

r

golebiow
Rare Poster

Postby golebiow » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:46 am

Thanks a lot!

To sir slingshot: What 17 are you talking about?

Comparing the 17 2005 fuel with Machine: What are the downsides with MAchine. I'm hearing a lot about the downsides with Fuel, but it has to be better on some points?? Is not the depower on the fuel 05 with the one-line comparable to the Machine 17,5?? The point is that I have the following offers:

SS 04 Fuel 15/17: new, kite only 400 euros,
SS 05 Fuel 17: used 5 times, complete: 700 euros
SS Machine complete 17,5: seen it on the web for about 900 euros.

kiterfighter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiterfighter » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:19 pm

Lots of pimps here be careful! I noticed the top guys at my beach ditched the Machine for the Contra 19.5. Just an observation.

The Right Stuff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: kites and boards

Postby The Right Stuff » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:54 pm

Machine! Just got mine and love it. I think even SS now realizes that the big Fuels are kinda piggish in terms of upwind ability and turning. The machine is incredibly stable even once depowered.

I decided against other options when I figured in the price of the bar included with the Machine. You may be in the same boat as I was: a less expensive kite with a bar upgrade (from 2002) put me darn close to the price of a complete Machine setup.

At that point, the decision was very, very easy. Good riding!

Runes
Rare Poster

Postby Runes » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:16 pm

All the kites you are opting for are really good kites, but try to get behind the hype:

There is not much difference between the 04 and 05 Fuels, so if money is an issue I would definitly not pay 300 Euro more for a 05 Fuel.

Machine contra Fuel:
The biggest difference is the windrange, you have better better low-end windrange with the machine than with the Fuel. This means less time on the beach rigging down and maybe you could do with a kite less?

But its up to you to decide if this is worth 500 Euro... :wink:

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core & Sabfoil Distributor

Postby GraemeF » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:34 pm

Asking about the downsides of the 17.5 Machine v's the 17 Fuel 05..

It's basically toughness, it simply aint as tough, its built to fly in very light wind, whereas the Fuel is built to withstand being rolled about in Surf.

The fact there aint big differences, although I'd argue they are noticeable, between an 04 Fuel and an 05 Fuel, and it'll depend specifically on a given size anyway, is testament to the fact the 04 Fuel was such a good kite in the first place.

It also gives the rider the ability to build a quiver that matches.

So other than the 5th line, the 06 Fuels will also be pretty similar, other than the 15 & 17 which will be quite different, at least in as much the bladders wont be transferable from an 04/5 to an 06, which suggests a different layout.

That doesn't mean the Machine is a fragile kite in any way, it'll still be around long after some other company's offerings, it just aint as Surf tough as a Fuel - nothing is.

sir slingshot
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sir slingshot » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:40 pm

slingy is speeding up the big sizes for 06 so it might turn out that the 06 17 might be a more fun ride than the machine but.....
MACHINE ROCKS!!!!! so im staying with that

Return to “Kitesurfing”