Forum for kitesurfers
Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What should a kite shop be?

Postby Sea&Sun » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:14 pm

kite shop: H2Air Kiteboarding, Dewey Beach, DE

First thing that makes this kite shop great is the owner being an early pioneer of kiting and being a kiteboard addict. The guy was kiting a long time before he ever thought about opening a shop. He seemed to live at the beach in his RV for years. If you go to his shop’ there are plenty seats around and kiters from all over the world telling stories, talking about funny things that happened that day, talking about gear, and you know what else. Great DVDs are playing on nice televisions and projection screens. He always has something to drink on hand. Computers are running with the latest wind reports. There are nice views of tourists chicks walking in front of the shop and nice chicks in the shop. It is a great place to hang out.
The shop only sells kiteboarding items. Many times I tried to get this guy to sell clothing because I knew he could make a lot of money from it, but he doesn’t want to have anything in the shop that’s not related to kiting. This is one very pure kiting shop.
If you have equipment that needs repair, the shop experts will find a way to fix it. They have any part you could ever need. There are racks and racks of accessories. The shop gets the latest equipment and gives great deals on what it is being replaced. Outdated equipment will not be found here. Lots and lots of kites are in stock and there are walls and walls of boards, racks of wetsuits, walls of harnesses, etc. Damn it’s so nice!!
The RV and their jet skis are always at the local spot. If a newbie ends up downwind, they get him. If you’re stuck out there, they get you. If you’re the first one on the beach, they launch you. If you’re the last one in, they land you. If you lose your board, they find it. The jetskis are always ready! If your pump breaks, they lend you one. If you want to demo a board, they give it you. They are always helping and giving good tips.
They organize events that help clean up the local area and keep relations nice with the Department of Natural Resources. It keeps the beach open and free of bans. They organize great kiting events in the area like The Red Bull Qualifier and lots of demo tours. They have a web site that covers everything and it is easy to use.
This is what I think a great kite shop is about.
Please tell us about your local kite shop.

FriendOrFo
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FriendOrFo » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:02 am

The BEST kiteshop, or shop of anykind, I have ever experienced is located on LBI, NJ.
ISLAND SURF AND SAIL.
pimpest shop ever. TV's with every dvd imaginable, killer sound system, wireless internet, beanbag chairs, direct link to windsensor at local spot!
Sick wakeboard boat, 2 jetskis, tons of stuff to demo, trampoline, all sorts of kite gear and kite repair shop. Awesome kiteschool and an amazing sliderpark at their flatwater spot 'Butter"!!!
and 18 miles of sandy beach with waves for downwinders!!!!!!!!!!!

oh yeah and the front counter where everyone chills and customers buy stuff is A FULL ON BAR WITH BEER ON TAP AND EVERY LIQUOR IMAGINABLE!!!!!!!!!!

this is an unbiased review and I think I can safely say taht Islandsurf and sail is one ofthe greatest shops in the world.

-friendorfo

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sea&Sun » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:10 am

FriendOrFo wrote:The BEST kiteshop, or shop of anykind, I have ever experienced is located on LBI, NJ.
ISLAND SURF AND SAIL.
pimpest shop ever. TV's with every dvd imaginable, killer sound system, wireless internet, beanbag chairs, direct link to windsensor at local spot!
Sick wakeboard boat, 2 jetskis, tons of stuff to demo, trampoline, all sorts of kite gear and kite repair shop. Awesome kiteschool and an amazing sliderpark at their flatwater spot 'Butter"!!!
and 18 miles of sandy beach with waves for downwinders!!!!!!!!!!!

oh yeah and the front counter where everyone chills and customers buy stuff is A FULL ON BAR WITH BEER ON TAP AND EVERY LIQUOR IMAGINABLE!!!!!!!!!!

this is an unbiased review and I think I can safely say taht Islandsurf and sail is one ofthe greatest shops in the world.

-friendorfo
Lucky you! Sounds great. I will have to tell our local kite shop about a that trampoline and wakeboard boat.I think every shop should have a wake board boat now that you mention it. I always wanted to try wake boarding. Could come in handy when there isin't wind.

dazza5172
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Middleton, Port Willunga, Mid Coast
Favorite Beaches: Middleton, U-Turns
Style: Wave
Gear: North Rebels, North Rocket Fish, North Freestyle Fish

Postby dazza5172 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:28 am

Sea&Sun - sounds like a nice shop, we have a pretty good shop in SA (onboard) but they do sell clothing, SA is not surf culture enough for them to survive only on core equipment. It used to be called Windsurf Glenelg at the peak of the windurf phenom, but now it covers water - wind - snow.

Shops should take control and protect their future sales with initiatives like lessons, (easy fo!) information and a culture, that keeps you going back and asking questions and then buying from them.

Manufacturers should protect their future sales by having a creed about control of selling - after evidence of taking instructions etc and signing an agreement on rules. insurance (like IKO AKA) - :flowers: :flowers:

Oh sorry I just woke up - I was dreaming :o

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sea&Sun » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:17 am

dazza5172 wrote: SA is not surf culture enough for them to survive only on core equipment. It used to be called Windsurf Glenelg at the peak of the windurf phenom, but now it covers water - wind - snow.

Shops should take control and protect their future sales with initiatives like lessons, (easy fo!) information and a culture, that keeps you going back and asking questions and then buying from them.

Manufacturers should protect their future sales by having a creed about control of selling - after evidence of taking instructions etc and signing an agreement on rules. insurance (like IKO AKA) - :flowers: :flowers:

Oh sorry I just woke up - I was dreaming :o
Pretty interesting I guess a lot of shops could probably not make it with just kiting only? I also like to go into shops that sell kites but also sell surf boards, skateboards, clothing, sandals, wetsuits, etc. etc. We all need to dress to.
But there is something really cool about a pure kite board shop. With all the new kiters coming, it may not be long be for SA has more kites then anything. Go back to sleep that was a nice dream.

72kiteboarder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby 72kiteboarder » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:23 am

Prokitesurf is a kitesurf only shop (the biggest in texas) and they are a full service shop as well. They do Retail, Lessons, PASA certification for instructors, Repairs (guarenteed for the life of the kite) and the shop is big enough to blow a kite up to inspect before buying (inside). It is a cool place to just hang out and BS with fellow kitesurfers.

http://www.prokitesurf.com

Rockstar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Rockstar » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:58 am

WHAT is this thread doing in Flamers ??????

Seems like good info for locals.

dazza5172
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Middleton, Port Willunga, Mid Coast
Favorite Beaches: Middleton, U-Turns
Style: Wave
Gear: North Rebels, North Rocket Fish, North Freestyle Fish

Postby dazza5172 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:55 am

72kiteboarder wrote:Prokitesurf is a kitesurf only shop (the biggest in texas) and they are a full service shop as well. They do Retail, Lessons, PASA certification for instructors, Repairs (guarenteed for the life of the kite) and the shop is big enough to blow a kite up to inspect before buying (inside). It is a cool place to just hang out and BS with fellow kitesurfers.

http://www.prokitesurf.com
What does a 16 mtr kite look like inside, when I have seen 9 mtr kites blown up indoors they look so big!!

I know, I'm a geek!

Dazza :thumb:

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby theflyingtinman » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:49 pm

Rockstar wrote:WHAT is this thread doing in Flamers ??????

Seems like good info for locals.
No representation without taxation

Return to “Kitesurfing”