Forum for kitesurfers
heychris
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which board for chop ?

Postby heychris » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:36 am

I have a sol twin tip and I like it. But when it's very choppy or out in the surf it's not that great. Which board/or shape/features should I be looking
for as a second board for these conditions ? I do not really want one of those pure wave boards. cheers

alguaro
Medium Poster

Postby alguaro » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:52 am

I mostly ride in the San Francisco Bay where we have plenty of chop and I've experimented with several boards to find what best works for me and I am convinced I've found the ideal board for chop.

For starters, you need slightly bigger fins. I use 2 inch fins (5.08cm) and they work really well in chop. Larger fins let you hold your edge much better in heavy chop. Second, boards that have rounded rails in the center of the board and sharper rails towards the tail tend to be much smoother through the chop than boards with a more continuous rail shape.

BTW, I ride a Dereck Camacho custom board. Check out his website (http://www.dckiteboards.com) and you can read his take on how a rail should be shaped. I believe also that Jimmy Lewis custom boards have a similar rail design as do a few other well known board shapers.

Escalate
Medium Poster

Postby Escalate » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:35 am

To ride in chop you need a board that is less wide take a look at the fone sk8 parabolic for second hand, it's a great board an verry good in chop. The tt sol doesn't take the chop that good because it's to wide. Allso you can put on larger fins but with the sk8 this won't be necassary.

KiteKarl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteKarl » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:44 am

I find that concave really helps smooth out chop. I don't like big fins as I prefer more of a skatey style. My belief is that technique, specifically having an extended front leg is the most important thing in chop. Helps maintain good speed for pops off the swell.

Litewave Dave
Frequent Poster

Postby Litewave Dave » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:52 pm

The 136 Freeride Litewave is super smooth in chop.

It is narrower (37cm) and has a fairly deep concave.

It takes a lot less leg muscle in chop. I can last a lot longer on it than on my 125 x 39 even though they plane up in about the same power.

-Dave

gbgreen59
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbgreen59 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:32 pm

I'm in chop most of the time when powered up pretty well as should probably be true in most places. I want a board for power up tricks, but in chop. Would the Freestyle or Freeride be better?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:38 pm

hey heychris :-)

Don't go with a surf specific board if you want it to be good in the chop. I have to agree with Dave above here...I had his 2004 136 board, and it was really great in chop, I now have the 2005 135 which is wider, but still really good in the chop. I also like / have the underground flx, but it is not as smooth in the chop. Otherwise I tried the SOL 2006 wow, it was super smooth in the chop. Cuts through.

Alex

MikeDobell
Medium Poster

Postby MikeDobell » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:57 pm

custom rogue wave. http://www.roguewaveboards.com

those rails cut through the chop like you wont believe.

plus as a custom its going to fit you and your riding style more closely which helps immensly with holding down that edge.

Live2KITE
Frequent Poster

Postby Live2KITE » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:10 pm

We have found that the 2005 Underground FLX 128x38 or 132x39 work incredible well in the chop.

Also, the RRD Triplex 130x37is a chop killer.

:thumb:
Evan - Live2KITE
(415) 722-7884
info@live2kite.com
http://www.live2kite.com
[RRD, Caution, Liquid Force, Globerider, Underground, Hana Crew, Cabal Skimboards, Litewave Design, NSI, Protec, Capix, SR, Aquapac, Okespor, Gul, Q-Lines, Rainbow, Seaspecs, Aquashade, UltraNectar, Bump'n'Jump]

hein
Very Frequent Poster

Postby hein » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:45 pm

Last edited by hein on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”