Forum for kitesurfers
nickr1977
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Follow your dreams and fantasies.

Postby nickr1977 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:21 pm

Ok, I know I am not the only person out there who sits at work allday and dreams about being out on the water. I am not the only one, who has to drive a hour to get to my surf spot only to find out that the winds sucks, or it is raining. I am not the only one who looks online at any and every kite site there is on the web.

My question is this....

Anyone thought about moving and quitting your job to move to a beach where it is consistently windy and the weather is always great? Going out and finding a job just to support your addiction of kitesurfing, even if it is waiting tables or something?

I am thinking about moving to Puerto Rico since it is a U.S. Territory. I only get to kitesurf about 3-4 months out of the year, and the rest of the time my throat is dry from lack of water being sloshed into it from a kick ass ride!

Anyway, does anyone else share my feelings on this?

Anyone want to move with me, or give me a place to stay in a awesome year-round kiteboard destiniation until I get back on my feet. I am not a bum, I am a professional, in the Information Technology field (computer work) so I should find something quickly. Anyone looking for a computer guy in your kitesurfing school or shop? Or a manufacturer or dealer looking for a computer guy to do the dirty work.

Help please, I miss the water!!!

Nick

Oleg
Frequent Poster

Postby Oleg » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:39 pm

Let me know when.
I'll GO

I was thinking about go to Egypt this winter , but PR is OK

Oleg

nickr1977
Frequent Poster

Postby nickr1977 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:55 pm

By the way... I don't want to visit, I want to move somewhere for good!!!

redsc1
Medium Poster

Postby redsc1 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:28 pm

Hi Nick

I know the feeling. Having to work 5 days a weeks sucks the big one. Two days is just not enough to satisfy my kiteboarding needs! Especially this time of year in Oz when the wind is very inconsistent…

I also work in IT and would love to say come over here and work but the market in Australia has been depressed for about 2 years now. There is hardly any work, with lots of highly skilled IT people looking for employment. Consequently salaries have gone and contracts are few and far between!

Anyway, let me know what you end up doing as I might join you!

Simon

alexhargreaves
Rare Poster

just go!

Postby alexhargreaves » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:22 am

:D

you dont need to wait man. Just go!

...You will find some hotel, and kite schools around...the wind is 20 knots every day around DR also...and lot of others Islands...lot!

will be ok!
you can and will be FUN!
:thumb:

[/b]

kafel
Rare Poster

sorry for you situation.

Postby kafel » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:21 am

[b]What are you wating for???
you must come to the Yaque in Margarita, (Venezuela) Here you can be
relaxed and the must important thing MAKE KITESURF. and also are two
islands that are the best thing is near from El Yaque.
think about it you are not going away to regret.

Bye Andrea or Kafel.

[/b]

Thatspec
Medium Poster

Postby Thatspec » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:52 am

Ah, the age old question. Is it better to work hard in an area with poor wind but but more reward financially, or the oposite? Perhaps you can have both or at least something in between. What about San Francisco? Windy and overpriced. Or Portland, OR. You can be at the sandbar in Hood River in under an hour with many Gorge locations closer than that

Remember though...
Unless you are 20 years old, you cant kitesurf all day, every day. Your tendons will not tolerate that kind of abuse. well, not mine anyway.

Keep us posted,
Thatspec

No Idea
Frequent Poster

Postby No Idea » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:46 am

I too could only kite weekends due to work commitments as a school teacher. Just changed careers 6 months ago with a large pay cut but can now kite 6 days out of every 8 (some night shift work) so my kiting has improved in leaps and bounds. Certainly more to life than money - took me a while to realize it though - had to have the cars, house etc. IMHO it is all about quality of life and doing what you like best! I've never been happier!

Go for it! :thumb:
Last edited by No Idea on Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:50 am

I'm with ya on tat one guy. Currently sitting in marconi, looking at my screen aware all the time that my life is passing by and i'm just putting food in our mouths, keepin the car running, making sure the mortgage is payed everymonth, why is it that my parents taught me that this is what to fight for in life ?

Well its because we came from a very impoverished community in eastern europe, warsaw in fact in the 1930's. My familly eat anything they could find that was edible just to survive. They were moved from ghetto to ghetto and had no place of their own.

Now I have a house, a car, a fiance, allthe toys and most of the friends, why is it that I still am not satisfied ?

Because although they went through that, I didnt, I'm a child of the 70's , globalisation, commercial revolution, and the credit card revolt.

I'm constantly thinking what you are. If i carry on , I'll be thinking it when I'm 60 too.

c'mon then, lets goooooo!

You'll do it if your serious. just dont expect it to be all roses. nothing in life is.

Good luck and I hope you do it. I have a virgin place for you if you want to do it there.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:32 am

Even if I can goout during the week, Ishare the thoughts of leaving my country too.
Now it is summer and it is great, but 2 month further and the dark season comes - I hate it.

I wouldlove to go away as well. My plans are a kite center somewhere in the Caribbean, where the people from kiteforum.com can meet every day and enjoy the kiteboarding life. But I need a good spot to go to, it must be perfect. I need to search for it and be sure, then I will go.
Germany was a great country to live in and make some money but the economic situation is so bad and there is no light at the end of the tunnel, why shouldn't I go? Since kiteboarding rules my life I see no reasons why not. Hopefully it will be a success and I can get many guys from this forum down there who would love to teach and enjoy the sport and life.

So far I only have the ideas, the dream and the domain: kitebeachcenter.com

Hopefully the dream comes true soon....

Greets
Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”