Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Teach me to fold my kite so it fits in the bag!!

Forum for kitesurfers
Germwise
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Teach me to fold my kite so it fits in the bag!!

Postby Germwise » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:31 am

Ok so during my classes I never actually completely deflated a kite and folded it. My instructor simply had me deflate the Le and then roll the kite along the leading edge and ping my harness around it :P.

So I have a 2004 CO2 and am afraid to fold it too tight and maybe damage some fabric. I see the cloth as a piece of paper that I don't want to crease.

I rolled it up along the ledading edge with the recon as the center and then folded it in two Leading edge to trailing edge.

HELP!

oh yeah and help don't make fun of me or tell me to stay off the beach, just cause I don't know how to fold my kite doesn't mean I don't know how to safely handle it in the air.

Sorry bout that last post but everytime I post a noob question someone pos and tells me I shouldn't be flying if I can't fold my kite :P

--Marcelo

ASNewsForumFuzz
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ASNewsForumFuzz » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:42 am

Deflate everything, lay it out. Go from one wingtip and roll it to the center strut. Then do the same for the other side. Then roll it from the leading edge to the back, if you do it right you shouldn't have any problems.

Germwise
Rare Poster

Postby Germwise » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:49 am

Recon has sort of sticks on the kite tips so I don't think I could roll it le to te

ASNewsForumFuzz
Frequent Poster

Postby ASNewsForumFuzz » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:51 am

Ah, sorry. I wasn't aware. I've only played with Liquid Force, Best and Slingshot kites.

Beyond those...I wish I could help.

The Right Stuff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: kites and boards

Postby The Right Stuff » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:13 am

Fold it LE to TE. Sometimes you need to be careful with the wingtip battens when rolling up the leading edge to set up this fold. Make sure all "hard" components (such as the battens) are right up against the LE when you roll.

Sounds like what you're doing is correct. Don't push hard or over-emphasize the creases - you're going to get some anyway. And I figure if it fits in the bag - you're doing it right!

You sound good to ride in my books.

lesbian horse
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lesbian horse » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:19 am

remember fold not roll

R Soul
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Str8 From The Horses Mouth... Ravens and Shinns... Love 'em.

Postby R Soul » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:52 am

lesbian horse wrote:remember fold not roll
I Back that, my buddies are always impressed how small I can wrap mine.

I FOLD tip to centre, not roll, then the other tip, place one fold on top of the other, then 3 folds TE to LE.

Voila!!

:thumb:

uncleneil
Frequent Poster

Postby uncleneil » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:50 pm

I hope I can explain this right. Instead of folding the kite with tip parallel to the width of the kite, lay the carbon tip on along the LE and fold it like a flag until you get to middle. Repeat with the opposite side and then starting on leading edge, roll or fold toward the back of kite. The kite will fit like a glove.

vegemite4me
Rare Poster

Fold?

Postby vegemite4me » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:56 pm

lesbian horse wrote:remember fold not roll
If you fold your kite, are you not going to create weak points in the kite at creases formed where you fold week after week?

uncleneil
Frequent Poster

Postby uncleneil » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:47 pm

vegemite4me, I have been folding my kites for at least 3 yrs. and they seem to outlast others that roll. It doesn't create any weak spots and keeps the kite looking crisp for a longer period of time.

Return to “Kitesurfing”