Forum for kitesurfers
larssa
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

stance?

Postby larssa » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:55 pm

Someone who can gice some tips about stance?
I have a new board and I don't know what stance I should have. Is It easier to pop with a wider stance?

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:02 am

the wider, the more efficient.
i've been testing quite similar boards, only difference was the stance.
the board with the widest was the most efficient board. best upwind, best pop, best landings.
the board with the narrow stance was the most comfortable. best cruisin'.
i went for medium / wide stance.
pops hard enough while still a board for recreational kiting.

72kiteboarder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby 72kiteboarder » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:22 am

All about comfort. I like 15 to 15.5 inches between the inside screws of the straps. Others like 16 - 16.5. Try both if you can and go with the most comfortable.

Ocean Lover
Medium Poster

Postby Ocean Lover » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:23 am

I usually go for the middle settings as far as width (don't have me boards here so can't measure). I'm 6'2''. After a year of kiting with my feet more parallel than duck I have switched my foot-straps to the most duck position the board allows. That works for me now.. Experiment tho. Good to do it all in one session, that way you can compare and make adjustments while it is all fresh.

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:28 am

Start with shoulder width stance and work your way out from there. More width will give you a lower stance. If you're going with a wide stance, go with flat pads.

larssa
Medium Poster

Postby larssa » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:33 pm

Ocean Lover wrote:I usually go for the middle settings as far as width (don't have me boards here so can't measure). I'm 6'2''. After a year of kiting with my feet more parallel than duck I have switched my foot-straps to the most duck position the board allows. That works for me now.. Experiment tho. Good to do it all in one session, that way you can compare and make adjustments while it is all fresh.
What good is it to have duck position?

I can't switch the stance If I put on the pads so I would like to do It right from the beginning. I have normal stance on my old board and like that, but I think I prefer to have a wider stance for pop.

hightimes
Frequent Poster

Postby hightimes » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:34 pm

Jump in the air , when you hit the ground bend your knees like your coming down from a high jump.
Your feet will have the best position

Measure that stance and apply to board.

Or divide the board lenghth by 4, leave 1/4 for each tip and 2/4 for the pads,more or less.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:44 pm

larssa wrote:
What good is it to have duck position?

I can't switch the stance If I put on the pads so I would like to do It right from the beginning. I have normal stance on my old board and like that, but I think I prefer to have a wider stance for pop.
It's mosly a matter of comfort. It's hard to go with a really wide stance without going ducked. Some people find it more comfortable and like that it automatically puts their front leg at a good angle for up wind riding without having to twist the strap.

Ed

smokey
Frequent Poster

Postby smokey » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:40 pm

Leave ths plastic cover on the sticky bottom until you are certain that that is where you want them positioned. You won't really notice the difference at first, so your able to adjust as much as you want without to many hassels.

Smokey

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:30 pm

A good place to start is with a tape measure.Measure from the arch of your foot, to just below your knee cap. This will give you number which can be applied center to center with your straps. My experince with kiteboards and snowboards is that if it feel's "comfortable" it(your stance) usually is sightly to narrow.Good Luck

Return to “Kitesurfing”