Forum for kitesurfers
George3
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WHEN ON KAUAI

Postby George3 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:57 am

ALOHA FROM KAUAI,HAWAII. just to let you know I do kitesurf videos so when on Kauai drop me a line and let me capture your moments in the surf and sun. A picture is worth a thousand words but a video of you kiting is worth a million replays :thumb: . Aloha, George3

PiaKite
Frequent Poster

Postby PiaKite » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:34 am

Was on Kauai just about this time last year. Saw people kiting at Kapaa, but nowhere else.

What other locations are kite friendly on Kauai?

George3
Rare Poster

WHEN ON KAUAI

Postby George3 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:16 am

There are quite a few primo spots to kite on Kauai.Over on the northeast side of the island there's a place named Anini beach perfect for beginners and pros alike with a sheltered cove like area,flatwater, with reef on the outside with waves for surfing, also you could do a downwinder from Anini all the way to Haena beach park almost 20 miles with the most unreal views of heaven on earth here on Kauai. Not to mention the westside.

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:48 am

a picture might be worth a thousand words, but is it wortha thousand dollars??

are you offereing your services for free, or are you obtaining a free advertisment?

lfkiter
Rare Poster

Postby lfkiter » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:55 pm

any kiting on the south side ? in the summer? gonna be there in june, should i bring gear ?

KittJ
Medium Poster

WHEN ON KAUAI

Postby KittJ » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:40 pm

PiaKite wrote:Saw people kiting at Kapaa, but nowhere else. What other locations are kite friendly on Kauai?
I got my intro to kiting on Kauai last Jan-Feb. The primary spots are up around Anninni beach, as has been mentioned ... it's the first choice of the population on that side of the island whenever the wind is right (which is most of the time in the winter.)

Second most popular seems to be along the South coast about 1 mile East of the end of the golf course of the Hyatt resort at Poipu Beach. That location is only reliably reached with a 4 wheel, although in dry periods, cars do make it up there.

Third choice seems to be Lydgate Park near Kapaa. Go to the right side of the park and out onto the beach by the complicated collection of tubes and walk-ways for kids to play in. Proceed South on the beach about 500 yards to reach a safe launch area. Stay away from the North end of the beach which is crowded with swimmers and beach goers. The launch area is a good half mile from the swim area.

When the wind is right (south-westerly), I am told that some folks will make the hour plus drive up the west coast beyond the naval base to launch, but I have never seen kites up there.

People occasionally launch in the Poipu beach area down by the Beach House restaurant or the Sheraton, but it wasn't that common last winter.

The person to check in with (by phone for a prompt answer) is Jeremy Fry who runs a kayak touring operation (Akamai) and rides for Caution or Wikipa. He was the only insured instructor on the island when last I looked. Hope that helps. KittJ . . . who will be kiting there from Christmas till March.

George3
Rare Poster

WHEN ON KAUAI

Postby George3 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:57 pm

IN REPLY TO kitedude YES :!:

George3
Rare Poster

WHEN ON KAUAI

Postby George3 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:34 am

Yes. I used to take surf videos, but am interested in kiting. Like Mrs. Fields and Famous Amos ,(of COOKIE fame) I give away samples to friends. Charge for services rendered would be in the future, of course. When I did surf videos, people would give me whatever they could afford. Also would go on fishing trips in the deep blue to video the action. I would usually end up with the catch of the day. Lots of it. Prime ONO, AHI, AKU, MAHIMAHI, to name some, as payment. I was happy, fishermen were happy, wife and family and friends that I shared catch with were happy. Money would come, but I really did it because I enjoyed videography. Always wanted to be an artist, (non-starving) and this is one way for me to express myself as one. Anyway, memories in action gave my friends memories for a lifetime. I get a HIGH myself just to see them HAPPY. Free advertisement? Maybe just a nice guy who likes to take videos and meet people from around the world.

kiteforlife!
Rare Poster

Postby kiteforlife! » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:45 am

Don't waste your time going to Kauai to kite. I lived there and there are only a few spots, all expert only, and only good when the wind blows hard. Mainly Kauai sucks for kitesurfing! The mountains are so close to the water (unlike Maui) that any rain shuts off the wind completely. Going there on vacation is a lesson in frustration and you will leave very pissed off at all the money you spent to get skunked! Plus the locals hate visitors and will cut your lines and pop your LE if you look at them wrong. The fishermen at Anini hate kiters, so that spot is now out, and it is the only good beginner spot on the island. Don't get me wrong, there are some epic days, but they are few and far between. Better to spend your hard earned money and time elsewhere if you want to kite.

Reagrds, J

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:17 am

Kiteforlife,

You are so full of it. Kauai is an awesome place to kite if you are advanced or above. I agree that it is no place for a beginner, but for an experienced kiter it is a better pick than Maui from Jun - August. I have traveled there 3 years in a row during the month of August for 10 days each time. The least number of days that I kited on a trip was 7 days.

Most of the locals are pretty cool as long as you know what you are doing and stay out of there way.

Return to “Kitesurfing”