Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

replacing a C style quiver (9m/12m/16m) with one 12m bow?

Forum for kitesurfers
onthebeachallday
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

replacing a C style quiver (9m/12m/16m) with one 12m bow?

Postby onthebeachallday » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:23 am

i currently own 3 kites:

04 9m best yarga
05 12m cabrinha element
04 16m best nemesis

and am considering selling 2 or all 3 of them and getting a flat kite (either an ocean rodeo one, or a windwind rapture 2)

i'm 75kg and the seabreeze here is generally 15-25 knots, does it seem feasible to use one flat kite in place of the three C kites?

it seems like it would be a lot less hassle just having one kite to use rather than putting down one and pumping up another if the wind picks up 5 knots etc.

cheers for any feedback :thumb:

Wind Breaker
Frequent Poster

Postby Wind Breaker » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:51 am

After a couple of sessions on my 12m Rapture II, I would say you could ALMOST get away with that. I think the range would be more like 8-15 though, rather than the 9-16 you are replacing. But you may or may not like the new feel. I'm not totally in love with the feel of my flat kite just yet. As others have posted with all of these new kites, timing the jumps is different, etc. I love the depower and the range, but it doesn't fit like a glove just yet.

Personally, I decided to keep my three high aspect C kites and hold on to the flat kite as an alternative - like having a twin tip and a surfboard. For flat water and jumping, I might prefer one of my C kites. But for surfing and/or gusty conditions, I might choose my flat kite. When traveling for just a couple of days or so, I now only take my flat kite because one kite can handle most situations. For a more substantial trip, I would still take my C kites too.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:57 am

I feel like I replaced 9-15 with my GK Sonic 11. The Crossbow 12 might have a bit more power so might be 9-16. I have not seen the OR One or WW Rap 2.

Ed

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved

Postby randykato » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:33 am

I feel like my Crossbow 12 covers about 8-15.

surf-turkey

Postby surf-turkey » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:33 am

I don't own a flat kite but because I am interested in them I have spoken with a few people that either own or have flown them before and they all have said the same thing. Basically, you get could away with one but optimally two is a better idea. They say that if you went with a 12 the upper and lower limits would be uncomfortable to fly in. With two you more or less split the difference and have better range. I am hoping to fly one in the next three weeks to get an idea on them for myself but I thought I would pass on what I had heard so far. Hope it helps.

Marthain
Rare Poster

Postby Marthain » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:38 am

And what about replacing a quiver of V4's (8 12 16) (90 kg. rider)
to cabrinha crossbow 12 and 16??

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:55 am

Since the bows are already some months here in Tarifa , and after the initial claims about the " one kite quiver " looks like people started to realize that it is better to have a " two kite quiver " since majority of the kiters started with Crossbows 12 or Sonics 11 and the low end is not as good as a traditional 16/17 C kite.....also riding with a Bow 12 on 35 knots gusty winds is not as pleasant as many people thought specially if something gets wrong......

Saludos

BJkitesurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BJkitesurf » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:31 pm

We had old C-kites, 19.5,14,12,10 and 8. ..Now we have ridden on CB 16,12 and Switchblade 9,7 in Baja for more two months..We love flat kites and never go back to any C-kites!!!!! One guys was not impressed with his Rapture 2 so he asked me for testing my CB for a while. He fell in love with CB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MY weight 90kg/195lbs
my wife 's weight 60/140lbs

Return to “Kitesurfing”