Forum for kitesurfers
tiger20
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Photography Equipment

Postby tiger20 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:02 pm

What's the best setup to shoot Kiteborading in a dgital format? I'm looking at getting a high end Nikon (Not sure what model) + a some really nice telephoto lenses. What do you guys recomend for shooting this fast sport?

piedroporto
Very Frequent Poster

Postby piedroporto » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:21 pm

that depends on how much your willing to spend. If its just for kiting, and your buying a REFLEX digital camera, id recommend the CANON EOS 350D. It is more then enough and has very good telephoto lenses.
i'd recomend a Fisheye lens to have very wide pictures where you can capture the rider and the kite. this kind of picture has to be taken very near the rider (in the water would be ideal - with the rider jumping right over you, or in your front).

this is the camera i'm talking about. http://www.digideep.com/english/digital ... 0D-/7/2017

this would be a good water protection for it... IKELITE is very reliable in water. http://www.digideep.com/english/unterwa ... XT/17/2074

Anyway, thats just an idea. Have a look on the camera at http://www.cnet.com check out for its reviews, you might like it.

But 2 essencial things are definitly the underwater photography equipment and a FISHEYE lens ! that should be more then enough! loads of cameras have these 2 items as acessories. you just have to look around and choose acording to your budget! :thumb:

72kiteboarder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby 72kiteboarder » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:36 pm

Cheaper to rent Very good lenses than buy them. If you check around you can probably find a place that rents high end lenses.

The Jess-Man
Very Frequent Poster

Postby The Jess-Man » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:52 pm

I was in Furture shop before christmas and they had a digital video camera with a lens you could mount to your board or helmet. There was a long wire that came off the back to the memory and the battery. I was blue. I can't remember who makes it though. I think it was JVC or Sony.

Does any one know which camera I'm talking about? I can't find it on the web.

J.

72kiteboarder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby 72kiteboarder » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:07 pm

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:19 am

What you need my friend, is a Nikon D2x with a Nikkor VR 70-200mm 1.8F auto focus lense. If you want the best and what the pro's use that is.

It'll only set you back about $6,000.00 or so.

tiger20
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tiger20 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:18 am

6k? Can't swing that. More like 3k.

Which is why I'm considering a Canon 20D...

smetzger
Rare Poster

Postby smetzger » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:59 am

You might want to consider a mid range 5-8mp non-SLR camera with a good zoom that has a waterproof case available for it. You give up the 3-5 pictures per/sec but you gain more shot angles.

If the sun is behind the kiter from the shore you'll get a much better image from the water. Plus you don't have to be as paranoid about sand and salt air when your gear is hermetically sealed in a plastic shell.

If you do choose this route make sure there is a minimal delay in the time it takes for the camera to capture the shot. I'd didn't think about this myself with my Olympus Camedia so I have to try to anticipate the shot.

Post your pics when you get your gear!

piedroporto
Very Frequent Poster

Postby piedroporto » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:09 am

no way... if your investing on good stuff, SLR is the way to go!

the canon D20 is a very good choice if you can afford it! definitly an amazing camera! the 350D i told you about is a cheaper option also very good but if your thinking D20... :thumb: good choice man!

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:53 am

tiger20 wrote:6k? Can't swing that. More like 3k.

Which is why I'm considering a Canon 20D...
I would recommend a used Canon 1D. You may be able to find one for about the same price as the Canon 20D.
The 1D is better. Very rugged camera and faster continuos shooting. Also has a bigger battrery, will last longer in an underwater housing

I have the Canon 1Ds. Great camera :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”